Sunday, March 27, 2011

NSFJ: The Whole Nine Yards (or it felt like it at least)

Okay, so like most kids when I was a child and my parents slaved away in our front and back yards I thought they were nuts.  I figured that there was no way that manicuring a yard could possibly require every waking weekend hour.  Clearly my parents were just bored.  Seriously - how many sticks can there possibly be to pick up?  How many plants do you need to put out there? 

After this past weekend, I would like to apologize for my youthful misguidance.  Mom and Dad- you guys are superstars.  I think anyone who expends any effort in their yards deserves yard of the month.  Let me know and I will bring you a sign.  It is hard work!  (This is coming from yours truly who spent approximately half of the total yard effort's time looking at veils and picking out my Mom's wedding day attire.)

Last weekend since we were getting the house painted we decided- sure, why not go for a full homeowner badge and take care of some yard tasks?  The weather was nice.  My Dad agreed under the premise that he would get to use some tools.  All systems were go.  The plan for the day was for Ryan & my padre to remove 6 oleanders.  3 from the driveway which Ryan found offensive when he tried to get in and out of the passenger side of my vehicle.  3 from the backyard which I had vivid dreams of our future dog being poisoned by.   We removed slightly more than that, as you can see.

Jungle in a bag(s)

All in all I would consider it a highly successful weekend.  Our yard was de-jungled and only 1 sprinkler system and 1 cut cable (sorry neighbors!) fell victim to our methods.  This is all still CLEARLY a work in process but I figured that after their hard work, the boys deserved for me to post some pictures of their toils.  Thank you Mamacita, Daddio & Ryan for helping us all to rest easier knowing that my future dog will not choke on oleanders and not one more branch will harm Ryan's pretty head.  What greater success in life is there than knowing these things?

If you snooze you lose when it comes to before pictures.  This is where 3 of the oleanders used to live.  In a more vertical form.  Did I forget to mention the freeze killed them?

How many dudes does it take to dice up a branch?  Please note the chainsaw in the background.  No stitches were necessary.  This time.

After: Oleander free is the way to be. 

Backyard Before #1

Backyard Before #2

Hurricane Jiyan aftermath

Triumph

Lots o' trees.

After #1.  Some day this will be more finished looking.  For today I just like how much bigger it looks.

After #2.  Again - one day this will be more finished.  Like with grass.  I'm a big dreamer, what can I say?

2 comments:

  1. Dang! Hard work going on at your place! It looks fantastic though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow nice job to all the hard workers! I'm glad the swing set stayed intact! The yard looks great... so does this mean you will now be accepting plants as birthday and christmas gifts?! :)

    ReplyDelete