Sunday, April 25, 2010

Marathon: Not the Best Idea I've Ever Had

Now that I've started this blog I'm going to try to go backwards and blog about a few things that have happened so far in 2010 that I don't want to forget- or in this case that my legs will never forgive me for.  On January 17, 2010 I ran the Houston Marathon with Ryan and Brendan.  For spectators you may recognize them by their bib names - "Big Bamboo" and "the Schamblizer".

It was my first... and last.  It's always been a life goal of mine to run a marathon- two lost toenails and several cases of gatorade later I can cross it off the list.  The whole marathon training process was much more difficult than I dreamed it would be and I learned a lot about myself and the virtue of determination.  I'll spare you all the details but some of the more memorable parts of the 4 month training process included:

  • running 12 miles with Brendan & Ryan and listening to wrestling talk.  All.  12.  Miles.
  • eating at a CiCi's buffet.  As a 27 year old.
  • an allergic reaction at 8 pm at night that left all Memorial Park runners fortunate enough to see it (and Ryan) scarred for life.
  • Cortizone shot number 1
  • a 16 mile run on a narrow road in the middle of Montgomery county... and then going to an emergency clinic after
  • an 18 mile run in Central Park in December when it was 28 degrees out
  • Cortizone shot number 2
All of that said, I'm incredibly thankful that I did this and so very fortunate that I had such amazing running partners (Brendan & Ryan) and wonderful supporters (my family, Jen, Ryan's family and Brendan's family).


The Schamblizer displaying some excellent form.  And me focusing on not passing out.


Yours Truly & the Big Bamboo

Brendan and Jen (who was probably more excited we were done than we were)

  Marathon Survivors!

No comments:

Post a Comment