Friday, May 18, 2012

(April 19, Veytaux): McChateau

On Thursday Team HW decided to take a mini-road trip.  Obviously we'd mastered the art of navigating Geneva and were ready to take our skills on a travelling tour.  Where better to challenge your stroller and child entertainment skills than in a centuries old castle?  The winner of the Team HW visit lottery was Castle Chillon.  It's a beautiful castle situated right on the edge of Lake Geneva nestled in mountains.  Basically it is so pretty it looks fake.  Google image it.  You will not be disappointed.

Due to the fact that our destination was on the opposite side of Lake Geneva, it took roughly an hour & a half to get there.  Way back in the day when I went to Europe with the familia when I was in highschool, we actually made this drive.  At the time my optimistic young self informed my parents that I would honeymoon in Switzerland because of just how beautiful that particular drive was.  Of course, at the time I also assumed my future husband would be Ben Affleck.  So perhaps I was not as all-knowing as I thought.  I fell in love with the area then and it was every bit as picturesque and engrossing as I remembered if not more so.  If you ever find yourself in Switzerland, I highly recommend that you take a drive along Lake Geneva to Castle Chillon.  I also recommend that you take me with you.  I promise I'll sit quietly.

So... to the castle.  Ryan once again announced his country of origin as 'Merica when we bought tickets.  After going 0 for 2 I feel pretty confident in making the blanket statement that Europeans are not amused by that.  The castle is absolutely stunning, of course.  I'll just skip to the pictures.

As you can see it was slightly overcast when we arrived.  Imagine this view with gorgeous mountains in the background instead of those clouds.  Or you can just Google image it.

New Team HW headquarters?

Aqua waters- just like Galveston, right?

Some people take stop and smell the roses pretty literally.

The wine cellar.  We purchased a bottle to share with Jonathan after dinner that evening so he could feel like he was there.

A piece of the rock the castle was built on.  You're probably not supposed to do this.  You probably shouldn't be taking pictures of someone doing this either.  'Merican Rebels!

I'm apparently not good at posed panic.  This was the prison in the basement.

I hope my future children are more well-behaved than this guy.

This was the maid's quarters.  Please note how small people were back in the day.  I would have been like Yao Ming.

Toilets.  Those are just holes that go straight down to the water.  I'm sure this room smelled like roses.

I think this picture is absolutely precious.  Future wedding slide show, Jakey!

Probably part of the moat?  We definitely had lost track of what sight # we were supposed to be on at this point.

I love that little man!

Jake loved the cobblestone and was surprisingly more adept at walking on it than yours truly.  Or maybe that isn't that surprising.

Why don't you sit riiiiight here?  Let me tell you a story about my trucks.

Oh Castle - I'll miss you.

By the time we left some of the clouds had burned off.  So clearly I needed to take more pictures.

Bye fictional dream home!

By the time we left the castle it was around 2:30 so we were starvin' like Marvin.  We started back the way we came because we had passed quite a few cute little cafes on the lake.  We got out to check out one or two and the prices were outrageous and/or the locations were closed.  Obviously while pondering the best course of action we had no choice but to take pictures.  I hear it stimulates the mind.

I suppose if the whole castle thing doesn't work out I could handle living here.

Don't we look like we should live here?

I was incredibly fascinated with this tree that was growing in the middle of the lake.  I would Swiss Family Robinson that in a heart beat.

After much careful consideration (or at least 2 minutes) we decided that the time had come.  We knew that it would.  What time, you ask?  The time to bring shame to the art of tourism by giving in and going to McDonald's for lunch.  We were backed into a corner since we knew that we still had an hour and a half drive back to town, needed to swing by the grocery store and many of the other restaurant options around were closed. 

I hate to admit it but the meal was actually pretty delicious.  Ryan was dismayed to learn that his Fast Food staple, the $1 menu, was ousted by it's fancier Swiss cousin, the 2 CHF menu, at this particular McDonald's.  Our meal cost roughly $30.  So don't worry - we definitely paid for our crime!

'Merica!

After lunch we headed back to town and did our daily grocery store run.  Melanie made some delicious tortilla soup for din-din.  We spent the remainder of the evening watching Hall Pass and trying to convince Jonathan that we should all liquidate all of our assets and try to buy a castle together.  No?  You think that's a bad idea?  So did he.  I know I sound like a broken record but I can't help myself - another perfect day in the books.

Next up: preparing for McMartin family road trip!

P.S. Real life note - today we're in South Bend for my cousin's wedding.  Happy Wedding weekend Miranda & Travis!  We love you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment