Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Baby FAQs

It turns out that when you announce a pregnancy, people have a lot of questions.  To try to kill many birds with one stone, I'll get all IT on you and post some of the most common questions I've received (or that I know you're thinking) along with my highly scientific answers.


Q:  When are you due?
A:  March 10th currently.  It was originally March 15th but at our first appointment it got moved up 5 days. 

Q:  When did you find out?!
A:  I found out the morning of July 4th despite telling myself I wouldn't take a test until July 6th.  WHOOPSIES!  Patience may be a virtue, but apparently it isn't one of mine.

Q:  How did you tell Ryan?
A:  I didn't tell Ryan for a few days after I found out.  I'll explain more later.  I want to devote an entire post to how I told people because it's been such a fun part of this process.

Q:  So... like a few weeks ago I asked you when you were going to have kids... you looked at me like I was crazy.  Then you said, "I already have one.  He's 29 and his name is Ryan."  Was this on purpose?  Why did you lie to me?
A:  Yes, this was absolutely planned.  I didn't tell you because as my wise aunt once said - "there aren't enough good surprises left in life."  Besides, if I had told you, you would have likely thought I was pregnant 10 times by now when really I may have just overindulged in my beloved chinese cuisine. 

Q:  You like your adult beverages.  How have you been hiding it?!
A:  Okay, so that's been hard.  The day I first found out we went over to play beerpong at Shawna & Austin's.  I poured A LOT of beer into their pool.  Also down their sink in the bathroom.  Sorry Shaustin - I owe you an extra large cannister of shock for the pool.  Since then I've mainly avoided any social setting at someone's house and ordered cranberry sprites in all bar settings.  Please note if you're trying this trick you should remind them to put it in a regular cocktail glass.  Otherwise they give it to you in a soda glass and people think you're an alchie.

Q:  Are you going to find out the gender?
A:  For sure.  Please see my lack of patience commentary in Question 1.  On my birthday, October 4th, in fact.

Q:  Do you have names?
A:  Yes.  We have had a girl name since long before we were even engaged.  We've had a boy name for probably 6 or 8 months.  However, we don't plan to share them because somehow when you share a name people think that's an open invitation for their opinion on it.  We love our names and don't want to have to get into any disputes about them.  If you are going to hate the name, I'd prefer to make it more challenging for you by attaching it to a cute baby first.

Q:  What are you going to do if the baby inherits Ryan's smart mouth?
A:  Get my own apartment.  Or maybe earmuffs.

Q:  What did you have to give up that you miss the most?
A:  Anyone who knows me well is likely expecting me to say coffee right now.  Shockingly, I miss sushi a lot more.  We'll revisit this topic again when the Starbucks Christmas flavors come out though.

Q:  Have you had any weird cravings?
A:  My Mom's meatloaf.  For those of you familiar with my eatings habits, you will recognize this to be as odd for me as I did.  I am not a ground beef fan and I used to groan when my Mom would tell me this was what was for dinner.  When I told Ryan about this craving he informed me that it was all the paternity test he would ever need.  I also have a very unnatural craving at nearly any time of the day for either: 1) chicken tenders with creamy gravy OR 2) Tostito's Black Bean & Garlic chips (if you have not had these, go out and procure some... trust me, you'll voluntarily want to give me your first born for this nugget of wisdom).

Q:  What are you most nervous about?
A:  Of course, first and foremost, I want this baby to be happy and healthy.  I think that's probably anyone's first anxiety point.  Beyond that, I worry that this child, like it's father and paternal grandfather, will weigh in the 10-11 lb range and be about 23 inches long.  A close second is that Ryan really will paint a mural of Lola's face in the nursery while I'm at work one day as he's been threatening to do.

Q:  What do you call the baby?
A:  I call the baby jellybean and Ryan usually refers to him/her as uterobaby.  Maybe he thinks I'm giving birth to a robot.

Q:  Is this why you suddenly dropped off the face of the earth and didn't want to do anything fun I planned?
A:  Yes.  If you planned something that wasn't on my couch within a 2 second dash to a restroom, it hasn't been up my alley for a few weeks.  I feel better now though- let's do stuff.  :c)

Q:  What can you already tell about this child?
A:  That this bean has his/her mothers sentimental attachment to dates combined with his/her father's sense of humor.  How do I know this?  I found out I was pregnant on Independence Day, the first day of the second trimester was Labor Day, we find out the gender on my birthday and last, but not least, when I googled March 10th after our due date was changed (see: mother's sentimental attachment to dates) the second hit was this: March 10th.

I think those are the bulk of the questions I have fielded recently.  :c)  Above all, we are just incredibly humbled by how lucky we feel.  We appreciate all of your kind words, sweet thoughts and heartfelt prayers.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Stay tuned for the how did you tell _____ post.

5 comments:

  1. I love this!!

    I missed sushi SOOOO much, that was the hardest thing for me, too! I told Matt to plan on a truckload of sushi in the delivery room. I had my sister-in-laws mapquesting the hospital to find the nearest spot and calling ahead to make sure they had enough. Then I took a class and the mean, terrible instructor informed me that I could not have sushi while nursing!! I thought you'd like to hear that from a friend. I did eventually cheat on that, after several months.

    And there must be something to craving ground beef when you are knocked up. I hate hamburgers and that is all I wanted when I was pregnant! My doctor said it is because of the iron. We'll know you've really lost your mind if you start craving cheese!

    Can't wait to hear more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the best post ever!! So excited for you.

    p.s. I still drank coffee. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats again. As always, you managed to make me laugh out loud (I think it was the Lola mural). I'm sure my co-workers think I'm nuts.

    Also FYI I ate cooked sushi rolls during both pregnancies. It helped to satisfy some of my sushi cravings. Now some of my favorite rolls are cooked and I frequently get them even when I'm not prego. Also, my high risk doc told me coffee was okay. Actually I think his exact words were "You can drink your body weight in coffee and the baby would be fine." Obviously many docs would disagree with him, but I used his advice to justify my morning coffee routine and the occasional Pumpkin Spice Latte in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But you're obviously going to make an exception about keeping the baby names mum for me, right?!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) I hope this mural happens.
    2) I cannot WAIT for the day you crave cheese. I hope I'm there to experience it.
    3) Even if baby comes out mighty ginger, I think Ryan will still consider the meat test paternity proof enough.
    4) YOOOOOU ARE SUCH A LIAR! Totes called you out a few weeks back and you blustered forward with a NAAAAH, NUUUUH, NOOO WAY. Deception, my friend, is a slippery slope. :-D
    5) Can't wait for the work reveal!
    6) I'm not drinking the water at work anymore. 3 babies on one floor within a few months of eachother? Mon dieu!

    ReplyDelete