Monday, October 29, 2012

Sugar & Spice or Frogs & Snails?

Saturday October 6th, after 54 excruciating hours, the gender of our little jelly bean was revealed.  Ryan spent all day Friday grocery shopping, cleaning and preparing for everyone to come over.  Saturday morning he prepared a delicious spread of brisket, homemade baked beans and his critically-acclaimed pico & queso.

While Ryan was being super-husband, I busied myself with highly important tasks like... painting my nails festively.  Is he lucky or what?!  Apparently the anxiety of waiting on the gender reveal was far too great for me to actually apply myself to productive activity.  Besides running out to the store to get some paper plates and classy red solo cups.  (Oh, were you thinking that having a child would mean a red solo cup-free household?  Ha- cute.).


Team Pink or Team Blue is the new Team Edward or Team Jacob.


I forgot to take a before picture.  Pregnant ladies put food in front of photography.  So sue me.  :c)


Everyone patiently feasted on the toils of Ryan's hard work and then immediately demanded that we get down to business and cut the cake already.  Who are we to disappoint the masses?  Little Amy or Little Ryan?  Tu-tus and tiaras or suspenders & bow ties?  Carpooling to dance or to baseball?  We'll let the pictures tell the story.  Digital drumroll please...


Nervous anticipation...


 SHUT. UP.  Is that really... Noooo...


Mmmmhmm, it most definitely is...


 PINK!


 Apparently when I threatened Ryan's life and limb if he did this at our wedding, he did not think that ban extended throughout the remainder of our life time.  I've since cleared this up.


So excited to spoil a(nother) little princess... this time of the non-furry variety!


 Mamacita opening the envelope to make sure the bakery followed directions appropriately.


I guess I haven't covered anywhere on this blog what Ryan & I's official gender guesses were, have I?  Ryan thought from day 1 that this little bean was a girl.  He was so convinced that he nearly bought a pink cashmere sweater from J. Crew in week 8.   As many of you can likely identify, this is very out of character for him.  I, on the other hand, told most people that I logically thought it was a boy but for some reason I couldn't fully commit to that.  Why did I logically think that?  Because on my Mom's side of the family EVERYONE has a girl first.  My grandmother had my mom... in the next generation my Aunt Jan had Kara, my Mom had me, my Aunt Jean had Ashleigh... in our generation, Kara had Ava, Travis & his wife Miranda had Shiloh and about a month before our gender reveal we found out that my cousin Ashleigh, who's due in January, is also having a little princess.  How long can that pattern continue?!  Guess we'll find out when Julie has her first, won't we?

After the grand reveal, everyone was so elated that we celebrated in true Ryan Martin style.  What is that, you ask?  Why, with jaeger, of course.  Ryan busted out a bottle that has been in our freezer since before our wedding, apparently waiting for this very occasion.  The remainder of the evening was spent watching football, looking through my old baby book and enjoying celebrating with some of our favorite people.  Thank you so very much to everyone that participated and for all the love and support.  It was an absolutely perfect day and I look forward to sharing many more with you all when baby girl gets here.


No pregnant wombs were harmed in the making of this photo.


Cheers to many tea parties in our future.  :c)


Quickly after the celebration the boys assumed their usual Saturday/Sunday positions.


 Julie & Jen discussing their future babysitting plans.  After overhearing them I feel fairly certain Ryan & I may not go on a date again until this child is 18.


 Tiff & Kylie.  I'm so excited that Baby Martin will have such an awesome older cousin.


You might think Lola is pouting here (*cough* she is), but i prefer to think of it as getting her beauty rest to chase a little one around the house.  (P.S. I realized that I did a pitiful job of getting photos from the party... How did I completely miss getting the grandparents?!  I promise they were all there!)

4 comments:

  1. Happy Bday again and so excited for your little girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look on your face when you see the pink cake! And I didnt know about the nail color, made me lol. Very well done :). I'm already so impatient to meet baby girl Martin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing this blog made me relive my sadness for not being there! Looks like a good time. I love your nail polish. Should have titled this "Baby's First House Party".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!! Baby BIO is a girl! Love the cake shove.

    ReplyDelete