Sunday, January 2, 2011

Decking our Halls (and the kitchen and the backyard...)

This Christmas was Ryan and I's first officially integrated Christmas.  We each got overly spoiled by one another's families and each got a stocking at the other's house.  Had I known how fabulous having Christmases with 2 families would be, I might have paid off someone to marry me earlier.  Over the course of the holidays, we completed the Boarman-Martin trifecta by hitting up Conroe, the Dirty Branch and South Bend, Indiana.  First off- this will be a long post, I apologize.  Second- I apologize for the lack of pictures.  I really slacked off over the holidays.

Ryan and I each took off December 23rd with the intent to become the best homeowners ever.  We planned a full day for ourselves of cleaning, changing our locks, installing 2 ceiling fans and installing 1 chandelier.  As seems to be the running theme in our lives, we accomplished none of these tasks fully.  Our day was comprised of a brushed nickel versus gold snafu and about 51 calls and iPhone pictures to our fathers about our breaker box and detailed pictures of the wires hanging from our ceiling.  After all of that we decided that kick plates are a problem for future Amy and future Ryan and that hanging ceiling fans is best accomplished utilizing a barter system of multiple beers for the use of a parent's knowledge and drill.  More on that to come in a future post.

The Conroe Leg
Following our foray into home projects we headed up to Conroe and spent the night with my family for Boarman Christmas.  We kicked off the night by introducing Ryan to Pizza Shack.  After a straw wrapper throwing battle, an attempt to get shrimp tails in a to go box and a stowaway napkin incident, I think he's well versed both in the Pizza Shack and in the vibe of a family outting.  On Christmas Eve morning we woke up and played presents.  Ryan and I got spoiled.  My parents got us a bunch of things off of our registry, including some of my place settings, some flatware and Ryan's golf bag organizer.  For those of you familiar with Ryan's former travel companion, the plaid mesh beach bag, you'll be happy to know my sister got him a duffle bag to replace it.  Julie also got some prints of our engagement pictures framed.  We got tons of fabulous stuff- like I said- totally spoiled. 

Boarman tree

Julie and Ryan only refer to each other in terms of Words with Friends

Yes, that is a Whataburger gift card. 

Place settings.

Our sad looking mantle.  The point of this photograph is that you can see the pictures Julie got framed for us in it.  And the C&B ninja star that Tiffany & Ryan E got me.

The Spring Branch Leg
After a home cooked meal we packed in our loot and headed to Spring Branch (the Dirty Branch) for Martin Christmas.  We were treated to playing with Kylie, watching The Holiday (the boys in particular enjoyed this) and some delicious beef stew.  Ryan and I attempted to go look at Christmas lights and were dismayed at the lack of Christmas spirit in the big hoods around his area who shall remain nameless.  Christmas morning we woke up to Kylie cooing and Grandpa asking if the fire was burning the TV.  We stuffed ourselves silly with biscuits and chocolate gravy and then opened even more presents.  Ryan and I got an awesome grill and a ninja.  Ryan got some sweet loot including some tools (look out ceiling fans!).  I got some awesome jewelry, my Crate and Barrel star and some fun house decorating items.  After our two part Christmas we more or less looked like price is right Showcase Showdown winners.  I can't waaaaait to get to the casa to find homes for everything.

Martin tree

Kylie looking less enthused about American Pickers than Ryan is

How many Ryans does it take to put together a Jeep walker for a 6 month old?

The future home of some juicy Lucys

Kylie got a new car.  No biggie.

The South Bend Leg
Mid-afternoon Ryan and I left casa Martin and were generously chaffeured to the airport by Ryan's Dad.  We set off for our flight to Chicago, which thankfully made it on time and with zero delays- a Christmas miracle!  We were greeted with 29 degree weather and snow on the ground.  In true Boarman fashion, we set off on a road trip adventure in 2 sporty rentals (Caddy & JJ in one and Matt, Julie, Ryan & I in the other).  For those of you who may be considering it in the future, I do not recommend leaving O'Hare at 10 pm on Christmas night and attempting to find food within a 50 mile radius.  I particularly do not recommend it when you are travelling in 2 separate vehicles regardless of the number of iPhones per capita.  One marginally successful meal at the only Denny's I believe was open in the state of Illinois, and one rousing game of "Would you Rather" that left me with a vivid mental image involving tails later, we finally arrived at my Grandpa's. 

The remainder of the week was filled with lots of family time, several rounds of Euchre, and lots of good eating.  We drove around Notre Dame's campus, ate at a bar/pub near campus and tried to get into 2 sold out games in one evening (both hockey AND basketball).  We took a tour of my cousins' houses.  We hung out at Aunt Jan and Uncle Tom's farmhouse... where one of us (who shall remain nameless) enjoyed way too much wine and incurred endless teasing the remainder of the week.  We hit up Bruno's pizza and had a rowdy dinner, complete with Ava-performed Beyonce concert on a chair, in their back room.  We got to meet my new little cousins (I think they are actually second cousins), Shiloh and Tripp.  Ryan's life was changed through his introduction to hamloaf.  All in all, it was an absolutely wonderful trip.  I am so excited about all of the exciting things that await the Brady clan in 2011- Ryan & I getting married, Ashleigh & Kyle getting married and Travis & Miranda getting married.

Grandpa's House

This actually happened.

Notre Dame's Cedar Grove cemetery

Touchdown Jesus

Overall, we had an amazing Christmas vacation and I am pretty heartbroken that it's over.  I hope that each of you had an equally amazing holiday season with those near and dear to you!

1 comment:

  1. Reading this made me super bummed vacay is over!!! It also made me remember that Ryan wants horse legs! haha.

    ReplyDelete