Thursday, January 20, 2011

There's another man in my life...

and he goes by the name of "Busy Season."  Who would name their kid that, right?  Okay, so I jest but if you were to pay attention closely, several tell tale signs of adultry have crept back into my life.  Leaving for work before it's light out.  Returning from work late into the night.  A rapid decline in the number of texts/emails to my significant other.  No time for family, friends or social interests.  Multiple meals purchased for me.  Alas, for those of you who know me you recognize that it's just the way life goes between January and May for an auditor. 

While, we're on the topic... what is this "auditing" that I speak of, you ask?  It sounds incredibly sexy.  (haaaaa.) Allow me to enlighten you.  It has nothing to do with taxes.  I do not even enjoy my own taxes.  I give up my life for a large chunk of the year so that my filing companies may include a 1 page "Report of Independent Registered Public Accounting firm" document evidencing our opinon on their financials.  I won't go into the specifics- (because you are likely at work and I've learned that the business world does not take kindly to sleeping under your desk) but essentially we help provide comfort over the numbers the investing world uses to decide what to do with their money.  Sexy is an understatement now that I think about it. 

You know how I don't really believe in posts without pictures, but I work with what I've got at the moment... and I feel confident no one is interested in what my cube and/or portion of the conference table looks like.  So, I will share with everyone the things that I am thankful for during this time of the year.

  1. Starbucks.  It is no secret I am a fan of the bux.  However, during busy season it takes on a new meaning.  It becomes (to use a friend's wise words) "a shining beacon of hope."  There is nothing like a grande hazelnut OR caramel OR raspberry latte to cure the ills of an account that just won't reconcile.  (sidenote:  the skinny caramel macchiatos are delish)  
  2. Godzilla.  Anyone who works with me knows the story of how Godzilla came to be.  He is my spaceheater.  Really "space" is a modest term... he will heat a whole freaking room, as most of my teams can attest to.  We have been through a lot together.  I would be dressed up in a puffy coat, earmuffs and gloves 24/7 without his love.  Not everyone is as fond of him as yours truly, but no one can deny that he is GOOD at his job.
  3. The Superficial.  Another thing that I love year round, but that puts a little more pep in my step during these times.  I get celeb news, pics and a laugh.  Best 3.5 mins of my 5 min lunch break every day.  Just when I think that my world will crumble because the "sum of" function has disappeared from my computer for the 7th time that day, I read about Amy Winehouse... and suddenly, my life doesn't seem so rough.
  4. The people who get to work even earlier than me.  They make the coffee.  Sometimes badly, but hey... you are my heroes nonetheless.
  5. Seasons on DVD.  DVR is just not enough.  It fills up far before I get around to getting caught up.  Don't worry though- in October I would love to discuss how amazing Modern Family is.  (I heart you, Phil Dunphy.)  And the latest guidette on Jersey Shore.
  6. Wrinkle Release.  The iron and I do not see eye to eye.  We have a long history of not getting along.  I have a scar on my right hand from our first nasty encounter and things really haven't improved much since.  Wrinkle release is kind of like my Prince Charming.  There are very few wrinkles that some wrinkle release and 10 minutes in the dryer can't overcome.
  7. Jello Mousse Cups (Chocolate or Mint).  They are delicious.  They are low calorie (to make room for all of the Take Out taxi).  They are breakfast. 
Alright love muffins.  That concludes today's window into my life.  I would like to thank all of you who are understanding and who love and support me during this time of the year... I am so very blessed.

2 comments:

  1. I just bought some Mousse Cups. I would also like to think I introduced you to 1 of your 7 loves during busy season! I believe you tried them for the first time at the lake which naturally was my purchase. haha. :) LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the jello mousse cups too! Although I gotta say I had never quite considered them a breakfast food before reading the blog. However yesterday morning I had a hair appt and was running late so I was looking in my fridge for some bfast on the run and I saw my jello cups and I thought that if Amy can eat them for breakfast I can too so I'm now part of the 'jello for breakfast' club. :) In other news I hate the other man in your life booooo busy season!

    ReplyDelete