Friday, June 15, 2012

Melissa's Birthday

Two weekends after we arrived home from our stellar vacation, I finally got over my mourning period and decided to venture to the Big D (and I DO mean Dallas) for my dear former roomie, Melissa's, birthday on May 12th.  My more American Idol-obssessed half had to work and thus I was YOYO (you're on your own- shout out to you Court) for this little road trip.  When you have the Dirty Dancing CD though you're never really alone, are you?  I have to admit that it was nice to do a little travelling that did not require the use of a passport and/or waging war over a cramped airplane arm rest with a male. 

First, a little diatribe on my love for Melissa.  My 5th year of school she was 1 of my 2 incredible roommates.  As you have likely read on here before- when we graduated we all moved to different cities.  Courtney to the Big Apple, Melissa to Big & Rich Dallas and your's truly to the home of SPM (you know my name).  Melissa & I spent almost every waking moment of our last semester in school together because we shared a bathroom, took all the same classes, participated in the same CPA study program and took our CPA exams at the same time. 

Sometimes we shared a little too much.  For instance there was the great SS incident of 2k6 as well as a time when Melissa shared a little bit too much about her workaround methodology for when one of our shared appliances was out of commission.  Yet somehow, I still adore her.  Some might say that it's our mutual love of sushi, coffee, and a good banter sesh that keeps us bonded.  I, however, attribute it solely to the fact that we both have a deep affection for Huang and terribly delivered lines from Ice on Law & Order SVU.  When you share such deep rooted beliefs in life as sentiments regarding TV characters, how could the relationship not be eternal?! 

Enough love session, hmmm?  We don't need anyone's head get any bigger.  Somehow each year for Melissa's birthday I am travelling.  I don't know why or how that happens- it's clearly one of the seven wonders of the world.  This year though I was not and I seized the opportunity to visit for Melissa's birthday which happened to double as a house warming for the new house she and Blake bought when they got married.  Melissa's sweet husband toiled over 94 pounds of crawfish while the rest of us milled about and enjoyed telling old ridiculous stories and creating new ones. 

Melissa and Blake have an absolutely incredible group of family and friends.  It was a very productive day for yours truly as I: 1) learned what you do when you're retired from Scotty P (it sounds a lot like college to me), 2) was introduced to boiled garlic AND pop chips- life changing, 3) planned a future best-seller with Melissa's friend Stevie, 4) tried to help Katie plan an escape route from Mexico and 5) was witness to the greated Whitney dance tribute ever performed by Lauren.  Not too shabby for an evening's work, right?

Obviously I was very busy being productive and took no photos.  The good news is that I have pleeeenty of stock photos of Melissa to include here.  No picture-less posts todaaaaay!  Thank you to the Covingtons for inviting me, feeding me and housing me.  You're lucky I ever decided to leave.  Thank you to all of Melissa & Blake's friends and family for being so much fun.  Happy Birthday Mopelia!

It's getting in huuuuuuuur.

 
If you must cook, you should look good doing it.

 
Little wifely love.  Melissa, Cinnamon disappeared while you were shopping for that belt.

 
Literally the night before we took FAR.  At least if the whole CPA thing hadn't worked out she could be a Where's Waldo aerobics instructor.

 
Did I remember to turn my chi off?

 
Is that a martini strainer or are you just happy to see me?

 
Ohhh, the great layering debacle of 2k6.

 
Whipped it good.

1 comment:

  1. So.many.good.times. This post made my whole week/month/year, you are awesome. I'm so glad you came up to Dallas for the party, and I had no idea that half those things you mentioned happened, ha. I hope Blake never finds out about my 'workaround' ideas, I don't want to scar my current roommate like I did my past one. Also, Cinnamon says you can have his room when you move to Dallas and need a place to crash, he said he'll stay in a safe place. Love you always Grem!

    ReplyDelete