Tuesday, July 3, 2012

"Stranger" Things Have Happened

The first weekend in June Ryan had to work and I decided that cleaning the house alone sounded like a pretty boring way to kick off the summer.  To save myself from the fate of a housework-filled Saturday, I elected to tag along with Shawna & Dena to Free Press Summer Fest on June 2nd.  What is Free Press Summer Fest?  The masses would tell you it's a ginormous festival with a ton of wonderful musicians giving concerts along the bayou in Houston.  And yeah yeah, that's true - but I would also tell you that it was the single most incredible people-watching venue I've had the pleasure of witnessing since leaving Austin. 

I should have known when the guy in front of us turned around without warning and asked, "Hey- do you guys like stranger drink?  Nevermind, it's probably too early for that,"- that I was in a for a fun-filled Saturday. The 3 of us spent the day concert hopping, dancing, making random friends (quelle bonne surprise!), trying to sneak me into the FancyPants tent by any means possible, sweating our booties off, competing in a scavenger hunt in an attempt to win Dena her dream car, wondering why some people weren't wearing more clothing, watching some incredible dance skills and waiting (and waiting...and waiting) in line for pizza.  My favorite concert of the day was Snoop.  My favorite moment was when Shawna & I pretended to be a couple so that I could make it into the air-conditioned oasis of the FancyPants tent only to be immediately given the boot (for the 3rd time).  

The one bummer of the day was the lack of cell phone service.  Apparently bumping music and cell phone service are mutually exclusive.  It was so terrible that despite trying to text to meet up multiple times- Becca and I never could get in the same place at the same time.  Next year Becca- next year!  That aside, it was a hilarious day and I really enjoyed the festival even though I'm not a hard-core music fanatic.  Thank you Shawna & Dena for being my partners in crime! (For those of you concerned about yours truly shirking my house-ly responsibilities- don't worry.  I skipped Sunday and stayed home to clean.  At least I'm half-adult, right?)


Here we are right after being asked if we would like some stranger drink by a man in a hamburger shirt.


Do you know what kind of animal Dena & I are posing in?  I sure don't.  You have to love hippy artistic vision.


Stage 1 where we saw Snoop a loop, amongst others.


Leave it to the photographer to have fun accessories for even her iPhone camera.


We look like such fierce competitors- I still don't understand how we didn't win Dena that Jeep!  The only explanation is that it was rigged- that or Dena's over-enthusiasm about the Jeep's ability to auto-climb a steep hillside scared our driver.


Trust me, if you'd waited in line as long as we did, you would also have been this excited.


Good game, ladies.  Good. Game.

1 comment:

  1. Still think you eating that pizza is my favorite picture of 2012. If only people knew what we went through to get that pizza.

    ReplyDelete