Thursday, May 16, 2013

A Song (Okay, a Day) for Mama

You like my usage of a Boyz II Men song title for the blog?  Bringing it back to the old school.  Because I'm so cool.  Okay... we'll go ahead and get to the point because this is quickly going downhill.

May 12th yours truly got to experience her very first Mother's Day as a Mama.  I know I sound like a broken record when it comes to family holidays but this one really was pretty perfect.  The gift giving started Friday evening when a flower delivery person dropped off a gorgeous bouquet of tulips at the lake.  Much to my surpise, they were for ME from my thoughtful sister.  As if that wasn't enough, the gifting continued on Saturday evening around 12 am when my own amazing Mom (Nonnie) came and took Emery from Ryan & I in our respective couch and recliner positions and ordered us to go sleep in a bed. Nonnie kept her for the rest of the night downstairs where we couldn't hear her crying.  It was the first time I got to sleep next to Ryan in over 2 months.  I know it sounds so very silly, and it risks exposing me as the undercover sap that I am, but I've always told Ryan my favorite part of the day was falling asleep next to him.  It really was so refreshing to be able to get to do that.  So thank you times a million Nonnie.  You are way, way too good to us!

Stunning flowers my sister gave me.  My family is too nice to me!

Wonderful Nonnie & Emery

Sunday morning we headed to brunch with the Boarman faction of the family at the Walden Yacht Club.  I broke into a cold sweat walking into the restaurant with our tiny vocal princess, but to her credit she actually behaved fairly well.  Mama & Daddy took turns letting one another partake in the buffet line while the other was on diva duty.  Everyone assisted us either by waiting to go through the line so that neither parent was at the table by themselves or holding her after they were finished so that we could.  I really do have the greatest family and support system anyone could ever dream of.

How many Dads does it take to dress a 2 month old?

I hope next Mother's Day I look a smidge less sleep-deprived.

Miss Emery & her beaaaautiful Aunt Julie.


My Mama with the little bug who made me a Mama.

Ryan on Diva Duty.

Matt, Julie, Mom, Emery, Me & Ryan.

Grandpa, Nonnie, Emery, Mama & Daddy.

After we finished up an INCREDIBLE brunch, Ryan & I packed up our stuff and hit the road to go see his family.  At the Martin's we met up with his parents, Tiff, Jerome & Kylie.  We all got to relax and nosh on some Rudy's BBQ.  Yummy in the tummy.  Luckily our little munchkin was worn out from screaming in the car the whole way there and slept most of the time which meant a niiiice little break for her parents.  It was great to be able to kick our feet up, catch up and let Miss Kylie entertain us all.

Delicious cupcakes courtesy of Kylie & Tiffany.

Aunt Tiffany taming our little angel.

Em and Granny Martin.

And one last one because I'm addicted to her.

Post dinner, our little family packed up and headed home.  Ryan gave me my first Mother's Day present- a beautiful locket.  He was also sweet enough to buy a matching one that we can give to Emery one day when she's older.  It was probably one of the most thoughtful gifts he's ever given me and I hope that it means as much to her one day as it does to me.  Who knew the man in the Ninja Turtle's shirt was such a softie?  We are both so lucky to have him.  AND the grand finale for Mother's Day was that Sunday evening Em slept from 10:45 PM - 5:15 AM for the first time (which she hasn't repeated since)!  So... if you add that all up we have amazing family time, heartwarming gifts and a milestone first.  I told you it was perfect!

Thank you to all the incredible mothers in my family and circle of friends.  You each inspire me daily to be better and heaven KNOWS I wouldn't be here without you.  I am beyond blessed to know, love and be loved by all of you.  I hope that your day was as wonderful as mine- you certainly deserve it!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great Mom's Day! I'm praying for y'all to get more sleep soon. I'm sure you've gotten tons of suggestions on how to help Little Emery sleep for you. If you typically nurse her before bed you could try giving her a bottle of pumped milk instead. We always did that with our girls and then they would have a very full tummy and sleep much longer. My sister-in-law also said that her girls didn't really sleep through the night until they started solid foods (around 4-6 months depending on when she's ready). She will sleep someday, hopefully very soon for your sake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very, very sweet, first time mama-bear! Congrats on the nearly 7 hours!

    ReplyDelete