Friday, February 28, 2014

Showering Baby Covington

On Saturday February 8th I was privileged to help host a baby shower in Dallas for one of my beloved college roomies, Melissa.  I hosted with 2 other college friends, Meredith & Katie, her high school friend, Lauren, & her step sister, Dianna.  I have been fortunate enough to get to know them throughout the course of Melissa's wedding as well as other post-college visits and they really are kiiiind of awesome.  Melissa must pay them very handsomely to keep them around.  ;c)

Luckily for this over-busy-seasoned, out-of-towner, Miss Meredith took the lead in the planning department.  She definitely missed her calling as a party planner because she managed to come up with the cutest theme (the Hungry Caterpillar) and did an incredible job spurring us all into action to get it pulled together.  She basically is Pintrest in the flesh.  Major kudos to this organizational Goddess.

We threw the party in the rec room of Katie's apartment building and it. was. awesome.  As the pictures below will evidence  Just seeing it makes me want to move there and we all know that Dallas and I are frenemies.  Sure there may have been an older lady who randomly came in to "get her vitamins" (play piano) while we were setting up.   And yeah, there may have nearly been a confrontation when a different lady kept trying to utilize the room despite the fact we very obviously had it reserved- BUT the free Flavia machine and warm cookies totally outweighed that.

We guests were treated to a delicious HC-themed smorgasbord o' food, some fantastic company and Melissa and sweet baby boy C were showered with some fantastic loot.  I had such a great time getting to visit with the old 5th year PPA crew as well as Melissa's Dallas folk- so tragic that Houston and Dallas have to be separated on opposite ends of the state with only a Bucees between them.  It's pretty much the geographic version of Romeo & Juliet.

The fun didn't end at the shower though because Melissa & Blake were kind enough to let me stay with them despite having LOTS of family in from out of town.  Why would a very pregnant lady agree to add stress to her life by letting me stay with her?  Because she's crazy?  She is and I don't know why they're so nice to me.  Probably because she subjected me to 2 nights of a whining feral cat my 5th year of school.  That's neither here nor there though.

Thanks to their generosity I got to pretend to be a Poorvington for the evening.  I tagged along to dinner with Melissa's Dad, Mom & Aunts as well as Blake's Grandmother, Mom & Sister at Love & War in Texas.  The food was topped only by the company.  I already knew that baby C was a lucky little man to have such wonderful parents, but after breaking cornbread with the extended fam I can say that he is far more blessed than he'll understand for a long time to come.

Lots and lots of thanks to my fellow shower hostesses, the Poormans, the Covingtons and mostly the proud parents-to-be for a wonderful weekend.  I love you all and I can't wait to house crash again in April when sweet Norman* makes his world debut!

* name subject to change.

How perfect are those eyes the Katie fashioned from pipe-cleaners?!  If this whole bad@ss lawyering thing doesn't pan out I think there's an Etsy shop in her future.

Only Meredith would own her own helium tank.  Is this not the cutest?!

Gorgeous flowers that Katie picked up.

Meredith's childhood books really dress up the place.

Is that a caterpillar head or a tomato?  Who can tell?

Lots of treasures for the little Mister.

Blake just found out Melissa's pregnant.

Melissa and her incredible Aunt Sue. 

Can't WAIT for pics of Little Man in the precious wardrobe he scored.  Best Dressed List Dallas, look out!

I'm still a little upset Becca didn't pose suggestively on the ottoman- I think that's supposed to be Auntie tradition.  Especially because Katie appears a full foot taller than the rest of us.  Can't wait to meet you, sweet boy!

2 comments:

  1. I made the blog! So honored :). Shower was so amazing and I'm so glad you stayed for your 'weekend getaway.' Please come back soon... And don't leave :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great theme! Those flower arrangements look amazing!

    ReplyDelete