Thursday, March 6, 2014

A Movie Star was Born

One year ago today at this very moment I had just checked into the hospital for what was the best day of my life.  I won't bore you with sentimental reflection on what I was doing at every minute during that day, although you can be confident I'm thinking about it each time I look at the clock today.  The moment that mattered the most came at 7:09 PM when the most adorable, sassy, stubborn, and tender-hearted little baby made her world debut.  She brought tears of joy to my eyes then just as she does while I type this.

I know that there's absolutely no way to put into words the immeasurable enrichment our daughter has brought to our lives in the past year.  So I promise not to try for very long.

Sweet, tiny baby you make us SO HAPPY.  This past year has undoubtedly been one of the most challenging of our lives, but I can say with sincerity that I would not trade a moment (even the one when I was drinking a wine cooler alone in the kitchen at 2:30 am bawling).  You are worth it.  You are worth every single second.  I hope you carry those words with you for the rest of your life.  Throughout all the tears, all the late nights, all the anxiety, all the skipped heart beats, all the early mornings and all the panic attacks- we have still had this incredible sense of contentment.  That, my dear, is because of YOU.  You complete your Daddy & I in a way that nothing else could.  We sit around for hours looking at you, playing with you, laughing at you, texting about you, trying to replicate the crazy sounds you make via written word and just smiling knowing that you're ours.  You make our lives better than we ever dreamed possible simply by being yourself.  Thank you for making us into the people we were always meant to be.  I pray one day we make you as proud as you make us.  Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday Emery!

So on to the celebration, huh?  I can think of no more fitting tribute to the first year of my beloved diva's life than by making her into the movie star she's always known she is.  I can't take credit for this idea myself.  A couple of weeks ago I was lamenting to my co-worker that I, once again, got far too hasty in pressing post on my 11 month photo bomb post and forgot to include videos.  She suggested that I do a post of just videos and thus the idea for this post was born.  Mad props Molly for being so smart.

I recognize that no one, besides her Grandmother, will click on all these links and watch all these videos, but I am putting them all here anyway.  If you can believe it, this isn't even all of them.  These are just some of my favorites.  I hope that a few of them warm your heart and light up your face the way they do ours.  (Editors Note:  I have not included any of the bajillion screaming videos I have because I care about your auditory health and your interest in future children.  Also I'm saving those for her wedding.)

Happy little lady bug laying on her Mama's lap while visiting Nonnie & Grandpa's house.  (March 29, 2013, a few weeks old)

She was supposed to be winding down to go to bed.  Practicing her moves to dream of Pele?  (May 15, 2013, 2 months old)

The first time she rolled over.  (May 21, 2013, 2.5 months old)

Learning to mimic our faces.  Obviously we taught her the most important expressions first.  (May 29, 2013, 2.5 months old)

I know it seems silly if you don't have recent experience with a newborn, but this was the first time I saw her actively playing with something.  (June 20, 2013, 3.5 months old)

Just having a little chat with her Mama before work.  (August 1, 2013, almost 5 months old)

Very first real belly laughs.  So thrilled I captured this on camera because she's still pretty stingy with laughs.  (August 8, 2013, 5 months old)


The first time she learned she could move herself on her belly.  (August 25, 2013, 5.5 months old)

The first real crawling.  (September 8, 2013, 6 months old)

Expressing her distaste for peas and flair for the dramatic.  (October 3, 2013, almost 7 months old)

First time pulling up.  (October 5, 2013, almost 7 months old)

First time we gave her a sippy cup.  This has been a rocky relationship from the get-go, clearly.  (November 22, 2013, 8.5 months old)

Waving to her fans.  (November 27, 2013, 8.5 months old)

Shaking her groove thang to some Mariah- shout out to her fellow divas!  (December 2, 2013, almost 9 months old)

Giving kisses...  (December 18, 2013, 9 months old)

... but not to her Daddy.  Ain't nobody got time for kisses when there's potential to be fed.  (December 19, 2013, 9 months)

When babies attack.  (December 26, 2013, 9.5 months old)

The day she adopted "sharing is caring" as her personal mantra.  (January 17, 2014, 10 months old)

Playing peek-a-boo with her Mama on a snow day.  (January 24, 2014, 10.5 months old)

Waking up is hard to doooooooo.  (January 29, 2014, 10.5 months old)

Her first real steps!  (February 7, 2014, 11 months old)

First time using a spoon.  (February 19, 2014, 11 months old)

Discovering her favorite instrument.  (February 23, 2014, 11.5 months old)

Being generally adorable.  (February 25, 2014, 11.5 months old)

I like to think she's really just echoing her Mama's sentiments on growing up.  Hope she smiles this much when she tells me no in teenager-hood!  (March 1, 2014, almost 1 year old)

4 comments:

  1. Precious, precious, precious baby girl. It has been so much fun to watch her grow up! I can't believe it's already been a year! Here's to many, many more...and many more babies? No? Not now? Well, fine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy happy Birthday Emery!!! You are such a great momma!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! Happy Birthday to sweet Emery!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just watched every video. Thanks for letting us enjoy her first year. I think her fans want it to continue through year 2.

    ReplyDelete