Friday, April 10, 2015

Flash Dance

On Saturday March 14th, we hosted Emery's 2nd birthday at our house.  Why such a big gap between her actual birthday and our celebration of it?  I am fortunate enough to work 9/80's.  This means that when nothing crazy is going on, I have every other Friday off.  Thanks to the great mystery of the universe, Emery was born in a working-Friday week.  Are you comprehending the weight of this #firstworldproblem?  Knowing myself the way that I do, I am aware that it is standard practice for me to swear up and down that I will put together a simple event and then on my 45th trip to Target the week of said event realize that I've once again duped myself.   This fact causes me to try to book any events within my control (read: Em's birthday party) in a weekend following an off-Friday.  This year in particular I chose the one after her big day because the one before we uncomfortably close to the date I went back to work

Thankfully I recognize this about myself because I somehow thought making 18 animals out of those obnoxiously-difficult-to-work-with tissue paper poufs would be a cinch.  After a few 4 am dates with the alarm clock, late night cut and paste seshs after the girls were asleep and arts & crafts time during lunch hour in my office- I realized that was nooooot exactly true.  Death by Pintrest.

Exhibit A.  Free cookie to anyone who can guess what each of these are.

All of that aside, it wound up being an absolutely awesome day.  The weather had been horrendously rainy, cold and dark the weekend before (and was the weekend after also), so we were so excited to get to see the sun.  Somehow, thanks to the help of Grandma & Pawpaw M coming over early, we managed to pull things together enough to fool people into thinking we life in an organized home.  (Now it's your turn to get duped.)  Other than the fact that Nonnie & Pawpaw B were too sick to come, the star were really aligning.

You could probably shoot an entire Oriental Trading Co ad in my garage.

Per usual I took a picture before food was out.  WHOOPS.  Maybe one day I will learn.

You're getting sheepy.  You're getting verrrrrrry sheep-y.

I took a lot of pictures so my parents could feel like they were there.  I think they were pretty crushed when they realized they still weren't well on Saturday morning.

If anyone ever needs decor for a fiesta-  I am your woman.

Wasn't lying- I reaaaaaally wanted them to feel like they were there.

Queso station.  You know it isn't a Martin-sponsored event without Ryan's queso.

Grandma M was kind enough to hang all the extra paper lanterns outside.  Thank you, Grandma M!

Do you think by next year's party we will have actual patio furniture?  Ohhhh, the anticipation.  (Probably not.)

As I've documented multiple times on this little blog o' mine, my sweet eldest child inherited her father's extreme skepticism coupled with her mother's extreme aversion to risk.  Bless her, I know.  All week Ryan and I worked on her to get her ready.  We told her about her party.  We told her people were going to come see her.  We told her WHICH people were coming.  We told her there would be good food.  All week things seem to be going pretty well.  She was excited.  Enter the moment we came downstairs from her nap to a house full of people... not so excited.  She did not love a bunch of people in her house.  She did especially did not love being the center of attention.  She did not want to be put down.  At all.  Aunt Julie was Emery's personal chauffeur for a solid 10 minutes.  I eventually convinced Emery to let Julie and I attempt a hand off- trading E for B.  At which point I was really wondering why I had devoted so much time to mental prep for the birthday girl at the expense of bicep prep for yours truly.  

Luckily, not a moment too soon, cousin Kylie showed up and Emery relaxed.  She finally agreed to be put down and spent the remainder of the party running around and playing.  And grabbing cookies from the table while no one was watching.  I know because I can't begin to quantify the amount of hot pink icing Ryan and I cleaned up from the rug in the front TV room.  

It wound up being an incredibly awesome time for at least all of the members of our house.  We were humbled and so thankful to everyone who came out to show us their love.  Thank you so, so much for being such an awesome support network.  We are way too lucky.  Way, way too lucky.  We know that driving out to the 'burbs, even if there is the lure of lots of beer, isn't easy.  Again, THANK YOU.  And, of course, to my favorite two year old - happiest of birthdays.  I know you won't remember this one, but your Daddy & I always will.        

This series of pictures really highlights what a sweet, patient cousin Kylie is.  The look on her face leads me to believe Emery just did something ridiculous.

... Like perhaps stealing her cousin's club?  Because clearly Emery needs both.

Sweet, sweet Madison.  She was such a cuddly little doll!

Babies and balls.  This isn't leading anywhere good.

Bahahahahahahaha.  Patrick demonstrating that he's absolutely all boy.

This is not what I envisioned when Emery kept telling me she would "shaaaare" all week.

Ahhh yes.  Our little lady.

Thank you for mothering our children, Lynda!

Aunt Niffy with her nieces.  (Is Brynn trying to karate kick Emery?!)

Just a Daddy and his beer daughter.

Yo, Mom!  Grandma said you cut me off from the cookie table?  Did you not hear that it's MY birthday?!

Sometimes when a jungle isn't available, Tarzan has to improvise.


I really think she might be the happiest 3 (now 4) month old on the planet.

What's that?  You dare me to put my whole fist in my mouth?  Challenge accepted.

Hey ladies.  Want to crawl into my make-shift Minnie tent?

Oh Uncle Matt.  You had no idea what you were getting yourself into, did you?

I think Kylie actually had a more firm grasp on how to put this together than Ryan did.

Let me get this straight.  You gave me a glorified stick... for play?  Which means... I can dust ANYONE I want ANYTIME I want?  Best. Gift. Ever.

Oh, nice.  This model looks like it has a longer handle for more reach.

Brynnie says parties are exhausting.  We all looked like this by 8 pm.

The aftermath.

1 comment:

  1. Well done, you! It truly is amazing how you always take pictures BEFORE food. Your track record is stupendous so keep it up? Looks like a fun time had by all and the wide eyed OMG look on your bro's face has probably sealed the deal on no kids for quite some time. Happy birthday party, EmKat!

    ReplyDelete