Monday, April 6, 2015

Emery Tracker: Two Years

The Story
My big girl turned a whopping 2 years old on March 6th.  Get.  Out.  Right?  As I mentioned in the iPhone picture download, my weekly emails from BabyCenter tell me she is now a "pre-schooler," while her attitude tells me she's 13... maybe even 16, girlfriend drives her "koh-ler" (stroller) like a bat out of h-e-double hockey sticks.  I'm not sure when or how the difference between those two gets reconciled, but I know I'll find out and you can be sure it will be documented here.

So... you'll see that this photoshoot was not our most successful.  (I think this is a theme for life after 10 months.)  Regardless- how GROWN does she look here?!

I just re-read her 21 month post and ha-lle-lu-jah I write things down because things I swear I'll never forget get completely forgotten.  I blame this on the fact that children are ever-changing and thus constantly making room for new memorables as opposed to my old age and accompanying memory failure.  To pick up where we left off... she says about a million more words than she did before.  Don't audit my math but I think it's in that ball park.  She had started making very simple 2ish word sentences at my last check-in but now we are well into the 4 word sentences.  Sometimes trying to string them together gets her out of breath from working so hard.  Bless her little heart.  This happens most often when she wants something.  Conversations usually go like this:

Emery:  More _____ (insert something... usually a food product).
Ryan/Me:  How do you ask nicely?
Emery:  Pease.
Ryan/Me:  Put it all together.
Emery:  More..... ________....*heavy breathing*.... Mommay/Dadday... *extreme heavy breathing*... PEASE!  *huge prideful grin*

She and Ryan both feel like this task comes WAY too quickly every 3 months.

Emery continues to exhibit "leadership skills" (recent perusal of my newsfeed tells me bossy is not PC).  The other day after I woke her up and brought her downstairs on a Saturday she requested that I put her on the bed to play with Daddy & "sis-uh Brynnie".  Approximately 30 seconds after this wish was granted she looked at Ryan and said, "Daddy... make-a pancake!"  When he said, "excuse me?" in an attempt to confirm that his ears were not failing him she looked at him, pushed his thigh and said, "C'mon!  Feet on-a ground!"  I imagine that by the next time I write one of these she'll require that we salute her as well.

Some of Miss Emery's favorite phrases as of late include "dat one," (that one) which is very versatile.  She uses it when she is trying to show us something she wants and either doesn't know what it's called or is not feeling ambitious enough to use all her words.  She also is a big fan of "dare" (there).  As in... "right dare," "over dare," and my personal fav, "get outta dare!"  Pretty much everything is right there.  In Emery's world "there" can be 2 inches away or in Conroe.  I'm sure it will come to zero people's surprise that "no like it," is another favorite.  There's an abundance of dislike in this 2 year old's life.

Is that a "lil' bug I see?!"

Oh goodness, how could I forget "yes"?  So it's been well demonstrated over basically her entire life that Emery LOVES the word "no."  If marriage to a word were possible, they'd be growing old together for sure.  In this most recent quarter, she's finally started to say "yes" more regularly.  She has known how to say it - she just never chose to utilize that knowledge.  Somewhere around maybe month 22 she randomly started answering questions with "yes," in the most flat tone you can possibly imagine.  No matter what you asked her- whether it elicited excitement or not, her tone was completely lackluster.  I wish I could describe it better because it was SO FUNNY.  It was a short-lived phase though because now she says yes with varying intonations based on her true emotions.  Hopefully I do a video dump at some point because I'm sure I have the Eeyore-esque yes somewhere on film.

The Biebs has nothing on this 2 year old.  Calvin Klein, have your people call our's.

The evolution of her relationship with Brynn has been equally entertaining.  I think last I wrote she referred to her merely as "da bebe!"  Now she refers to her as "sis-uh," "Brynnie" or some combination thereof.  I'm not sure WHY she started calling her Brynnie as opposed to Brynn, but it's stuck.  Poor little sister.  All of her life nicknames (Bucket, Juan and Brynnie) have come from her older sister.  Have I not mentioned "Juan" on here yet either?  Maybe that also happened this quarter.  When she was brand new (and even now sometimes) I would say things like, "Let's go change your diaper, little one," while going about daily life with Brynn.  Emery then started calling her "one" which sounds more like "Juan."  Yet another nickname born.

What's that CK?  You want us to give you "totally over this with a side of potential constipation"?  On it.

This quarter Emery has also really taken an interest in what Brynn is doing.  Sometimes it's for ill... for instance many a-time if Brynn has fallen asleep in my arms, once Emery takes note of it she runs over and in one fell swoop says, "sis-uh asleep... WAKE UP!"  Other times it's for good... like when Brynn is crying and she tells me "Brynnie crying... hoooongry!"  She also loooooves sharing with Brynn.  On her terms only though.  If Emery gives her one of her babies or a toy that is fantastic.  She smiles very widely at her charitable act and moves on.  If Mama or Daddy try to give ANYTHING to Brynn, Emery turns into an angry hornet and snatches it back.  By the next time I type things are going to be verrrry interesting because Brynn is getting very good at grabbing things.  This past weekend I saw Brynn try to take something Emery was holding and Emery did. not. like it.  Ahhh, things to look forward to.

Emery kind of cooled her jets on playing with baby dolls when Brynn came into the picture.  Her love affair with baby dolls has been rekindled though.  She now has two baby dolls and she loooooves to feed them, put them in the swing, take them on stroller rides, change their diapers, etc.  Thankfully they are inanimate because from my perspective I think those things would feel more like being suffocated by a plastic bottle, stuck in the middle of a tornado, on the wildest roller coaster of your life or being put in a straight jacket.  I think the love is in there though... we just need the tenderness to catch up.

Seriously Mom- I'm out.

I know I need to wrap it up.  If this were an Oscar speech the music would have started a long time ago.  Quickly I'll try to document a couple things this kid loves these days.  She loves all things animal and Little People.  She loves playing outside.  She loves telling us what to do.  She loves her family and constantly asking us what they're doing (Uncle Matt go nigh nigh?  Pawpaw at work?, etc).  She loves to CLAIM she is going to "shaaaaaare."  She really just lights up our lives.  I know it sounds so cheesy but I don't even care- I love her so much that it amazes me that my heart doesn't explode.  I just can't imagine life without her.

The School Stuff
On January 12th my little love bug moved up to the next class at school.  It's called Early Pre-School I.  Mama wasn't ready.  I guess I never have been.  Luckily because this class is so closely linked to her toddlers class, the transition wasn't difficult at all.  The two classes eat breakfast together and many times when I picked her up in the evening she would be in the EPS I class anyway... so I'm not sure if she even noticed a difference.  I certainly have though.  Her interest in making sentences increased immediately after she started.

Oh, you're going to force me to stay in here by bribing me with an Easter present?  Fine.  I'm going to make sure you regret it though.

I'm trying to think of what her teachers have told me.  They definitely have told me that she likes to "help" them teach by repeating commands after they say them.  Example?  Teacher says, "Johnny- sit down," Emery the shadow yells, "Johnny - SEET DOWN!"  She is quuuuuite the helper.  Otherwise her interests seem the same.  She loves animals and reading.

Oh, one thing I find humorous is that she LOVES to clean up at school.  When I walk in the door at school, she doesn't immediately (or even kind of immediately some days) come over to me... she does about 5 things related to cleaning up.  How do we get her to adopt this same level of enthusiasm at home?!  Le sigh.

Thinking really hard about how often these updates will be since she's passed the 2 year mark.  And in her Mama's unbiased opinion, way too pretty for words.

The Stats

  • Height:  35" (78th percentile)
  • Weight: 29 lbs 3 oz (87th percentile)
  • Head: 19.5" (95th percentile)
  • Diaper Size:  Still holding strong on those 5's
  • Clothes:  Some 24 Months, Some 2T
  • Shoes:  6's and sometimes 7's
  • Beverages:  Milk is her favorite but she has recently learned the awesomeness of chocolate milk and juice.  She has those rarely.  I try to get her to drink water but she's going through a very anti-water phase at the moment.  The war on liquids isn't one easily won but I'll keep working on it.
  • Food likes:  Still loves herself some sweets.  Has demanded 'cookies' upon my arrival at school MANY times.  She also really loves pizza.  She went through a strict hunger strike on vegetables but lately has called a truce with carrots and a few others.  She also gave the silent treatment to meat for a hot minute but they're back together again.  Basically she is your standard toddler.  
  • Food dislikes:  See above.
  • Words:  Gosh, just so many.  I forgot to type it above so I'll put it here instead.  Another of my fav things she says lately is "little bug."  Everything is a little bug.  Even if its actually a huge bug.
  • Games:  She still loves to "see?" what's on your phone.  She's getting into playing pretend, mainly with her baby dolls (Uma & Bella.. more on naming them in a future post).  She also went through a big love of puzzle phase... but she wasn't doing them correctly so much as telling you to do them.  Maybe next time?
  • Favorite Toys:  Her baby dolls.  For sure.  And books.  She is CONSTANTLY telling us to "read it!"  
  • Other Notables:  She hates when we sing.  Or dance.  If Ryan or I sings or dances she promptly tells us no.  Never has an ego blow made me chuckle so much.

1 comment: