Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Hello Father Time(liness)!

Well, well, well.  Look at me posting about an event within 1 month of it's occurrence!  I wouldn't get too amped up- it's happening courtesy of a momentary lull at work before year-end madness begins.  Let's celebrate the small stuff though, huh?

This year we rung in the New Year with a mix of family and friends, similar to the years P.K. (pre kid).  The only difference was that this year you had to elbow your way through crowds of children to get to the bar and the chugging was generally from a sippy cup.  Don't you fret though- it still included some weaponry just to keep things exciting.

Let's walk through how old mature people celebrate, shall we?  This year U of H had a bowl game at 11 am, so Shawna & Austin invited some folks over to watch it at their house.  Noon is the new midnight anyway.  We arrived approximately 1.5 hours late because- well- kids.  Luckily there was still plenty of food, bevs and fun company on hand.  I think that U of H won, but don't quote me on that.  I was busy watching kids in the romper room cheering for Minions.

While Ryan and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, as always, I am firmly convinced that Em had the best time.  From the moment she got in the car when we decided we needed to book it home for plans part 2 at 6 pm until her sleepy eyes closed she kept saying, "I want to do it again!"  I guess Chick Fil A nuggets, her boyfran, and Minions are the recipe for a perfect day in Kid World.  (Thank you for having us!  We love y'all!)

Who gave my kid a red Solo cup?

Don't let the hair fool you.  He's a kid at heart.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is the best picture in 2015.

Jen was clearly concerned that Brendan was being beat up by tots.

Mama Mel trying to herd the ninjas.

Because we were having way too much fun, we overshot the landing and barely made it home in time to put the dumplings in the crock pot for din.  (Have I ever spoken publicly about my love of crock pots?  I should more often.  Maybe I'll get a tattoo.  Seriously heart those things.)  My parents and brother came over to play with the girls a bit and to watch the clock strike midnight.

We spent a little time chatting.  A little time answering to tiny dictators.  A little time toasting.  A lot of time yawning and encouraging one another to make it to midnight.  And a little time enduring a lesson in butter churning from Ryan (don't ask.)  Overall, it was perfect.  Have I ever mentioned how overwhelmingly grateful I am for my family?  I truly am.  Thank you for coming to play with us Nonnie, Pawpaw & Uncle Matt!

Clothes and animals strewn about on the floor.  Beverage in hand.  This is how we roll in the Martin home.

Evidence that falling asleep during parties is in my DNA.  He did wake up for midnight, don't worry.  (Ignore the remnants of Christmas gifts that were not suitably cleaned up.)

Emery talked Pawpaw into taking her outside to watch our neighbors and their fireworks.

Her interest lasted approximately 7 minutes.

How cute are these two?

The finest in store-purchased cakes for our resident New Years Baby, Pawpaw B!  Happy Birthday, Daddio!

On New Years Day we headed over to Ryan's parents' house to celebrate his Grandpa's birthday (another New Years Baby).  The girls were so excited to get in some QT with cousin Kylie, Aunt Tiffy, Grandma, Great Grandpa Workman & Nancy.  

In fact, Em was having so much fun that we got talked into an impromptu cousin sleepover at Grandma's.  We were, of course, happy to oblige because it takes Em a bit to warm up to people.  Try as he did, it took her nearly the entire time we were there that evening before she would make eye contact with Great Grandpa Workman.  I'm told that evening she was climbing up in his lap- which I know he just ate up with a spoon.  Between that and the cousin time I know she adores so much- it was totally worth the crank-a-platpus that returned to us the next day.  Happy, happy Birthday Great Grandpa Workman!  

I love this picture.  Typically Brynn likes to be off exploring while the bigger girls play but I happened to capture her trying to get in on the action.

Necessitating an outfit change for Em is becoming a staple of a trip to Grandma & Pawpaw's house.

All our girls.  Heaven help us in about 10 years.

1 comment:

  1. All the pictures...ALL the pictures are golden. From climbing atop the couch, to crying between swords, to a gloved beer holding grey haired guy beaten up by EmKat...Just. Golden. Also, the girls' bellies in their matching outfits, too much!

    ReplyDelete