Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Day I Changed the World

Oh man, when you read that you thought I had done something spectacular, didn't you? Like maybe inventing the interweb?  No such luck- I was just referring to the day I was born.  I think I really only changed my Mother's world... and I like to believe it was for the better considering my screaming fits kept her from going to Wal-Mart for at least the first 6 months of my life.  Bundle. Of. Joy. 

So this year was the first October 4th in 28 (it's actually 29 isn't it?) that I spent 1) out of the country, 2) away from friends or family and 3) in a climate below about 80 degrees.  I am in Canada at the moment for work.  Thus far we were nearly turned away at the border.  I have been lost about 30 times.  I've tried to do a lot of mental math unsuccessfully- did you know that they use kilometers and celsius up here?  What is that all about?  (Jen and Ryan, you guys would KILL me when it comes to the thermostat up here.  I have no idea what 80 degrees equates to in celsius - but let's just say I err on the side of caution).  Also, I have trapsed around a manufacturing floor and warehouse in a skirt, heels, hard hat and safety glasses. 

In spite of how crazy that all sounds, it has turned out to be a pretty perfect birthday.  My b-day has been stretched out over nearly a week now.  On Wednesday Ryan gave me the following amazing present:

iTouch

I think my Dad can officially re-instate me as his daughter since I now own an Apple product.  You all may consider that a music player.  I consider it a game player.  It is also a forum for me to display my "prowess" (read: suckage) at Words with Friends (AmyLynneB).  I freaking love this thing.  My addiction list now reads: Starbucks, pumps, puppies, iTouch.

Friday after work I came home to a sweet card and an industrial sized bag of Twizzlers from my amazing roomie.  Then that night my friends were nice enough to take time out of their busy weekends/lives to have an extended HH.  It was so fantastic to see everyone and to catch up.  Thank you to everyone who came (and those of you who sent sweet messages even though you couldn't make it).  Because they're too gorgeous not to get commemorated...


Pretty flowers from Sara & Matt


Beautiful flowers from Melanie and Jonathan

Saturday I did Race for the Cure with the family.  Afterwards we had brunch at Katzs.  I got some fun gift cards that I can't wait to put to good use.  Then that night Ryan took me to dinner at Raku.  For those of you who don't know (or couldn't guess based on his limited interest in any type of healthy-ish food)- Ryan does not like sushi.  So it's a special treat when he agrees to sit through a meal of it with me without complaining about it being overpriced or how hungry he is afterwards. 


Thanks for dinner, Mr. Ryan. 

Then today for the Canadian leg of my birthday I started the day with the (second) love of my life- a skinny hazelnut latte.  Also, my co-workers were super kind and agreed to try to find a sushi place for dinner.  It turned into a serious adventure.  In this case "driving aimlessly down unrecognizable highways" and "adventure" are synonymous.  All in all, I had an incredible birthday and I thank each and every one of you who played a part in that.  I'm so very fortunate.  Thank you for spoiling me to pieces.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really proud of you for finally having an apple product. For awhile I wasn't sure I could continue this friendship-- but my doubts are gone. Sounds like a nice little birthday in canada.

    ReplyDelete