Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Need for Speed

For Christmas this year, Ryan's parents bought him a "racecar experience."  Much to my chagrin, this racing experience was slightly more adult than the ones I had as a youth which typically consisted of sitting in the middle of a cardboard box and yelling "vroom, vrooooom" while rocking the box back and forth (because everyone knows that earthquakes and racecar driving go hand in hand).  This one consisted of 15 laps in a real racecar on March 17th.

Given that the biggest risk I take most days is going down stairs in heels without looking down, I was a little nervous.  The fact that my darling husband has never driven a manual didn't do much to calm my fears.  Nor did him saying, "it's like learning to swim by getting thrown in the ocean."  I hung my assurance hat on the line in the certificate that said "we can handle experience levels from novice all the way up to experienced racecar driver."  Well, that and the fact that it was St. Patty's day which meant that day drinking immediately after was acceptable.

Ryan, Mike, Mike's friend Curtis, Curtis' son Tyler and I all headed up to Texas Motorsports Park to either partake in (Ryan, Mike & Curtis), or cover our eyes whilst others partook in (I guess really just me), some adrenaline junky-ism.  Luckily, after getting to do a few laps around the track as a passenger, Ryan somehow managed to learn how to drive a manual through Osmosis.  After he initially took off and nearly rear-ended a stationary vehicle in front of him, he did stellarly. 

Believe it or not, I even enjoyed watching it.  Almost enough that it cancels out Ryan starting 1 in every 5 sentences since then with, "Well, from my time as a professional racer...."  Thank you to Ryan's parents for such a fun gift.. even if it did create a monster.

Check in Lady: "Sir would you like insurance?  If you don't buy it you are liable for up to $15k." 
Ryan: "Uh, yes."

Despite the masses** of onlookers, I scored a front row seat.

I know what you're thinking- I can't BELIEVE you didn't mention the Andrettis were there.  Believe it or not, this is just Ryan, Mike & Curtis.  Strategizing, clearly.

Checking out the fans for some inspiration.

Walk hard.

Ryan's maiden voyage as a Co-Pilot.  No one tells you at 16 that your next Drivers Ed class is the one you should really look forward to.

Waiting to put those new skillz to use.

Go time, part 2.

Annnnd... they're off.  This is the only picture I have with all 3 of them in it.  Also included: their #1 fan.  Ryan was 22, Mike was 12 and Curtis was 8.

I GUESS this is cooler than my cardboard box.

Sometimes you just have to remind the kiddos who the boss is.

Level 1: passed.

** Does 6 qualify as a "mass"?

No comments:

Post a Comment