Thursday, July 3, 2014

Baskets, Bunnies & Babies

Spoiler alert: I totally failed my self-imposed challenge to get caught up on the blog before leaving for my sister's wedding.  So alas, I am even further behind.  I'm well into the second trimester and I thiiiiiink work is finally slowing down, so let's try another self-imposed challenge, shall we?  This time I vow to get caught up on the blog sometime before Emery's sibling makes their appearance.  Too ambitious?  Only time will tell.

As we sit here sweating our tushes off looking forward to a weekend of hot dogs, burgers and fireworks, what could be more appropriate than a flash back to another family-filled holiday a little earlier in the year?  Nothing I can think of.  So let's take a look back at Easter 2014 for the Martin crew.

Because this was too cute not to share.

Papa Bear's birthday fell on Good Friday this year so I took the day off.  The birthday boy's big wish for his special day was to... wait for it... eat breakfast at Cracker Barrel before we headed off to Conroe to see the Boarman crew.  What kind of wife would I be if I were to deny him all the pancakes, french toast and coffee his little heart desires?  A single one probably.  So Ryan, Em and I slept in and then headed over to Cracker Barrel with most of the rest of Katy around 8:30.

Tell me again about the biscuits, Daddy.  I like that story.

Double fisting toddler style.

You would have thought by the excitement level Emery was registering that it was HER birthday.  I am talking hands-over-her-head-squealing-and-clapping kind of enthusiasm people.  You'll read more about it when we get to her 15 month update, but this kid LOVES to eat.  Which is exactly what she did.  She ate some biscuit.  She ate some of Daddy's french toast.  She ate some of Mama's eggs.  She ate some potatoes.  She ate some grits.  She ate some bacon.  If we hadn't been watching her closely she probably would have stolen some food from neighboring tables.  She ate and ate and ate.  And furiously signed more.  She was in hog heaven.  Even our waitress commented on how much this child liked to eat.  She probably was considering calling CPS when she went back to the kitchen because obviously this poor child's parents had never fed her in her life.

After breakfast we swung by home to pick up the Lola-bean and all headed up to Casa Boarman.  We spent the weekend just enjoying hanging out as a family.  We went on plenty of walks (upon review of my Dad's photos from the weekend, contained plenty of shots of all of our backsides which I will not reveal here).  No one wants to see the backside of a lady in her first (or really any) trimester.  We ate plenty of delicious food.  We did way too much laughing.  Basically all the things we always do when we go visit their house.

Nonnie, don't be scared.  He's not really alive.  You can turn him off and on here on his foot.  (Gosh, adults are so silly!)

Let's go, peeps.  Follow me!

Did you hear me?  I don't see you following.

Being a movie star is so difficult- Grandpaparazzi always on your tail.

I could really use a tiara if you're going to chauffeur me around in this thing.

What to do when your kid won't leave her hat on but you're walking into the sun?  Have Daddy pull her backwards.

Sunday morning Emery got not one but THREE Easter baskets to tear through.  Later on when she tells me how much better all her friends have it, I will refer her to this exact post.  She certainly is one doted on little lady!  As you might expect from the Cracker Barrel story above, her favorite elements were of the edible variety.

Basket from Mama & Daddy.  This photo was taken sans baby Bucket (you'll see her below) because I had the high hopes I would get this post written before the baby news was out of the bag.  Silly me!

If I am going to eat all this food I may as well work in some curls with this basket first.

Mama, another one showed up!

Get your mitts off, lady.  I'll take care of those peeps.

See this?  It's not edible.

Emery and Bucket's initial introduction.  You can tell by Emery's furrowed brow that it's love at first sight.

After a delicious meal of hamloaf mid-afternoon, we packed it up and headed into town to celebrate with the Martin side of the family at Ryan's parents' house.  There we noshed on even MORE delicious food- mmmmmm, Guadalajara fajitas.   We watched Emery and Miss Kylie go through even MORE Easter goodies.  Somewhere amidst all the eating and looking through Easter baskets, the Easter bunny must have snuck over to Grandma & Paw-paw's, so the girls ran to the front yard to see what he'd left them.  Kylie was so sweet to help show Emery the ropes during her first egg-hunting adventure.

The Easter bunny really outdid himself this year.  FOUR baskets!

Too many things Mom.  I don't even know where to look.

Hey- how did you get in there?!

What do you want from me, Daddy?  I have one in my hand and one in the basket.  Is this child labor or what?

Kylie cleaned up!  Such a smarty pants- she figured out all the tough places the Easter bunny found.

Ahhhh, they just warm my heart!

Overall, as always, we had an incredible time with both of our families.  I know that I sound like the ultimate broken record, but I really don't care- we are so, so much luckier than we deserve to be.  Thank you to all of you for such an incredible holiday full of so much love and family.  Can't wait to do it all again next year - with a plus one!

No comments:

Post a Comment