Saturday, November 15, 2014

HalloBEEn 2014

In my younger years I don't ever recall being a fan of Halloween.  I'm not much for dressing up.  However, as an adult I've found that I love it because it means that I'm bombarded with pictures of people's adorable pets and kids.  Plus, hey, free candy!  Somehow this perk never fully resonated with me before- maybe it's the pregnancy?  Having a tiny minion to go out and do the dirty work that I benefit from is definitely something I've learned to get on board with.

Obviously, as with any Holiday, a one-use outfit was required.  As was a pre-7 am photo shoot to evidence the existence and use of said outfit.  What kind of mother would I be without these things?  The answer is probably one with a happier husband, but I digress.  So here is the best we could do with a wiggly toddler pre-school time.

I thought we were going?  You know they have cheerios waiting on me at school, don't you lady?

One smile.  That's all I'll give you.  Then it's seriously cheerio time.

Whoa, whoa.  How did this get here?

In case you were worried Baby B missed the costume boat.  She was a "pu-kin" as Emery kept pointing out.

As you may recall, last year Miss Em was a peacock.  This year we decided to keep things in the animal kingdom but we traded in a feathered tail for a stinger.  How did we select this costume, you may ask?  Mainly because at the time that I ordered the costume Emery was really into telling you what the bee says (bzzz for those of you who don't speak bee).  Since then, as is common with our diva, once she has mastered something she then quickly gets lazy with it.  Nowadays if you ask her what a bee says she will either look at you bored or say something to the effect of "bbbbb".  I suppose you might call her "efficient".

We had quite the jam-packed Halloween schedule of social events.  At 4:30 PM there was a costume parade at Emery's school.  My parents had decided to come out to the house on Halloween evening to get to witness our Queen Bee in her full glory so they decided to meet up early to take in her school parade as well.  Bless the dear souls who teach at her school who changed ALL these children into their costumes and somehow managed to get them to "parade" in some semblance of an organized manner.  Watching them in action made it very apparent to me that my calling in life was definitely color-coding spreadsheets.  I was pretty shocked at how well our little bee stayed with her class and strutted her stinger.

Hey Spiderman.  Want to race?

Just your average bee/lady bug/pig hand holding trio.

Working it.

She was legitimately confused to see people she knew.

Is everyone else decorating their pu-kin?  I was kind of digging just playing with this glue stick.  Yeah?  We're doing this?

Glue stick or ham & cheese sandwich?  Ohhhh, tough call.

 Nonnie and her little bee.

After this parade we headed home, met up with Daddio, and booked it over to a parade in our neighborhood that we had seen signs out for.  We really had absolutely no idea what it was but clearly we were into parades for Halloween.  We showed up and learned that a firetruck and cop car come, turn on their lights and all the kiddos follow them around for a lap of the neighborhood and then go trick or treating afterwards.  Our little insect had the time of her life chasing after lots of dogs, children and essentially anything else that moved while waiting for the firetruck and cop car to show up.  By the time the parade leaders organized themselves, this Mama's feet were the size of tree trunks and Em was rapidly losing interest in being detained in her stroller.  So we all headed home to eat some dinner and hand out candy.

Ryan somehow managed to procure, receive and hide this "Beekeeper" costume until right before we left for the neighborhood parade.  Little did he know it takes more than a costume to wrangle this one.

Checking out the fire truck.  Or some cowboys.  Hard to say which.

All in all, it was an awesome Halloween and I really look forward to doing it with TWO outfitted lovebugs next year.  (Remind me that I said this when I'm sweating before 7 am during our photoshoot).  I hope you all had just as be-witching of a time as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment