Friday, January 9, 2015

A Christmas Story 2014: The Boarman Version

At around 1:30 or so, our bigger elf was showing signs of having crossed over from a-nap-would-be-nice to if-I-don't-take-a-nap-soon-everyone-around-me-will-rue-the-day-they-were-born.  After such an exciting morning, who could blame her?  We decided to take that opportunity to pack up the car and head to my parents' house in Conroe so that she could recharge on the road.

What we did not plan on was Brynn screaming her lungs out.  The entire way.  I figured she would scream a bit and then fall asleep because hey- what are the chances Ryan and I birthed 2 children with 1.5 hour screaming stamina?  Well, turns out they're good.  Because we did.  Fortunately Emery was so exhausted she somehow managed to nap despite the screaming.  That's my girl- she's clearly inherited her mother's sleeping ability.

When we arrived to the lake we handed Brynn to Nonnie, let Emery play entertainer to anyone who would look her direction and Ryan & I got ourselves a beer.  Maybe 2.  Who's to say?  (Have you ever been on a trip with a screaming infant?  If so you're nodding rather than raising your eyebrows.)

Nonnie, let me just tell you what those people did to me.

After a suitable time decompressing,  we all sat down to open gifts.  Again- we were WAY too spoiled.  All of us.

Em helping her Daddy go through his stocking.

Pssst... Mom.  Dad's stocking bored me.  What do you have over there?!

Emery loved the Little People things from Matt, Julie & I's childhood so much that the fam gifted her some modern day ones.  She loves them just as much.

How many grown men does it take to put together a children's toy?  At least 2 when there's beer involved.

It apparently takes just as many to open go through a stocking.

Intense focus is required.

These people are nuts, y'all.

After Christmas, we all bunked up at the lake for a little long weekend staycation with the family.  It was Brynn's first time to visit Nonnie and Pawpaw's and Emery's first time in a while.  Added bonus was she learned to say Julie (Gulu) and David's names finally.  We spent our family time together doing our favorite things- relaxing, playing cards, eating good food and laughing.  Lots of laughing.  I mentioned the eating, didn't I?  I feel I should in case you see me before I lose those extra holiday pounds.  

Time off with the family was exactly what the doctor ordered.  I'd spent a lot of my maternity leave to that point over tired and stressed trying to get all my Christmas shopping, wrapping, etc done.  It was so nice to not only be able to relax but to do so with so many extra helping hands around.  That was probably MY favorite Christmas gift.

You guys think Emery is the only bossy one around here?  Just watch me point my finger in the air.  (This is how she does it, right?)

Move over grumpy cat.  I present to you  grumpy reindeer.

*sigh*  Dad, when do the silly outfits and photoshoots end?  (The answer is never.)

This kid has Pawpaw wrapped around her finger.

Julie & David decorating cookies.  I have to say that Julie's skills have improved vastly over the years.

Mama, this is a little fancy for pushing around a stroller, don't ya think?

Hey da bebe, check out my bird.

Doesn't Brynn's face have "here we go again" written all over it?

This is my life, isn't it?

My Life: A Self Portrait.  Nose Frida, errant little girl accessories (bow & bots) and coffee.

A child after her Mama's heart.  Please note the k cups surrounding Dolly & Baby in the stroller.

So Paw paw Emery tells me you know a lot about modems?

Can I help you Mama?

Tell me this sequence doesn't melt your heart.

Sweet baby loves her Paw paw.

My beautiful Emykins.

Trying to entice Lola to play with her.  I would venture to guess unsuccessfully.

Such a classic Emery face.

Sweet sisters.

What do you do when your kiddo insists on taking a walk but the car (and thus her coat) is all packed up?  You dress them like a car jacker.

Added bonus to using adult jackets?  The sleeves act as a leash.

And with that, we have another holiday in the books.  This one will always have a special place in my heart since it was our first as a family of four.  A heartfelt thank you to my family for our gifts,  your company and being the incredible support system that you are to us- I can't imagine what we would do without you.

I hope you all's holidays were equally as memory-, magic-, love- and family-filled.

1 comment:

  1. HA!!! The leash!! Great pics and the outfits for Brynn and Em are just so adorable!

    ReplyDelete