Friday, September 11, 2015

Impulse Purchase

So I keep alluding to a crazy undertaking that we've been working on in the background.  I'm sure many of you have just assumed that meant I was with child again.  (Some of you have basically asked me that...)  I can confirm that my mid section is round sheerly thanks to my love of Chinese food.  No baby in the Inn.  So, what is it that we're up to?  Well- we kind of bought a house.  True story.

How did this happen?  For a while now Ryan and I have gone back and forth as to whether we would ever move.  We love, love our current house.  We love our neighborhood.  We, ok, really only I, love our oak trees.  However, as the girls get bigger, their toys do also.  We don't really have a proper playroom in our current house.  Our plan was to turn the third bedroom upstairs into a space for them at the end of the summer.  Buuuut... plans don't preclude you from having the HAR app on your phone, do they?

It goes without saying as HGTV's biggest fan that I peruse HAR on the regular.  Like- daily.  I always have just because I love looking at houses.  So you would probably assume that I was responsible for this veering off course.  Au conraire mon frere.  On July 14th Ryan happened upon a house that needed some updating and was just a shade south of the boundary I usually set for myself .  He sent me the link.  We decided since we were childless (Camp Conroe) the coming weekend that we would check it out because- why not?

Upon walking through it we fell in love.  The neighborhood resonated with us.  The fact that it needed some updating and thus we could put our own stamp on it spoke to us.  It just felt like something we needed to go for.  We figured we would throw out an offer not really expecting to be lucky enough that it would hit- but then it did.  And we went into super drive because our offer was accepted right before we left for Florida.  Our option period ended before we returned - so we basically had 4 days to do 10 days worth of work.

Throughout the course of the process we have just been trusting that if it was meant to work out for us- it would.  Luckily it has because we feel like it's where our family belongs.  We closed on Friday August 21st.

Why is this post just about buying a house and not moving?  Because our plan is to try to get all of the renovations we want to undertake knocked out before we move in.  The idea of living in a reno zone at this stage in life brings to mind visions of Brynnie eating nails and Em bossing around grown men while eating goldfish from her snack catcher.  In other words- it gives me some heart palpitations.  So- we are currently in the process of getting bids from contractors.  We are hoping to be in it around the end of the year.  Fingers, toes and legs crossed.

Ta-da!  That's what's kept me distracted from blogging.  Am I forgiven?  So wish us luck with this endeavour.  Heaven knows we'll need it.  Rest assured that I'll be documenting the good, bad and ugly here so that we can all laugh at how much easier it looks on TV.  :c)

My cutesy idea was that I was going to take pictures of us before so I could do side by sides after things were done...

.... unfortunately kids don't really care about your cutesy ideas... (This is Brynnie in her room)

.... nor do they appreciate photoshoots that interrupt dinner time. (Em in her room)

What do you think they've gotten themselves into now, sis?  (The girls in the playroom)

3 comments:

  1. So excited for you guys!! Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome and exciting!! Can't wait to see - already looks so great!! Did you say you were in the same neighborhood?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray!!! Finally some house posts will pop up again! I mean, the girls are awesome, but like...I really dig the NSFJ world! Looking forward to it once again. YAY HOUSE!

    ReplyDelete