Monday, November 16, 2015

Home Sweet Home Reno: Month One

As mentioned previously, Ryan and I started (literally) living THE (ok, my) dream when we closed on a house we had grand visions of renovating on August 21st.  We all know that if a dream falls in the forest and there's no one there to blog about it... it's not really a dream, right?  So my plan is to post a monthly update on our progress.  I'm already nearly 3 months behind but better late than never, right?

Here we go.  On September 21st we were officially 1 month into our project.  This is approximately 2/3rds through the way of any good Property Brothers undertaking and we accomplished about 0.5% of what they do.  So there you have it folks- HGTV is a liar!  Not that this will dissuade me from watching it on loop in the future... but good to know.

Accomplishments:
  • Prepared & solicited a request for proposal
  • Selected a contractor
  • Installed the pool cleaner
Purchases:
  • Outdoor sconces
  • Pool cleaner
In the Pipeline:
  • All the things.  Seriously- everything.

I'll try to pepper you all with the anecdotes that you know exist in this undertaking.  The main one for the first month was what I'll refer to as W&C Day (wine and cookie day).  What does this have to do with home renovating?  Oh, everything.   Let me enlighten you.

My incredible father spent an enormous amount of time preparing a perfect RFP (request for proposal) for us to send to a few select contractors to invite them to bid for the work.  If you know my Dad you know that this thing was air tight.  It included a contract, floor plans, a detailed quote sheet for them to complete, pictures, a suggested schedule, etc.  If it's any indication to you - it was too large to send via email, so we had to put it on Google Drive.  Fact.

So throughout the course of submitting this RFP to contractors (4 in fact), we determined that one in particular seemed the most apt to work well with our level of attention to detail and timeliness.  On September 18th the bids were due.  At 7 am on said day Ryan received an email from the contractor who basically had the job that said he declined to bid due to being busy.  This came completely out of left field as he had helped us during the option period to determine the overall scope of work.  I had just been out walking the house and chatting with him the Friday before.  At no point did he make it seem he was anything but super eager to do the work.  I did not even know what to do with myself.  Except for go home after work and immediately eat copious amounts of break and bake cookies and a healthy portion of a bottle of wine.  W&C Day.

Coincidentally that weekend my Dad heard about a Home & Garden show and he convinced Ryan & I that we should go as maybe we would run into some people that could recommend contractors.  Again, if you know my Dad, you should know how this story ends.  Ryan and I arrived a little later than my parents and found him excitedly darting around from booth to booth making new friends.  He legit was telling us so much about the cabinets at one booth that the guy offered to hire him.  At another booth he broke a cabinet drawer.  At a third booth he decided to "test" the PVC floor with a huge knife.  Suffice it to say that by the end of the day he suggested the idea of contracting the job ourselves with himself acting as the General Contractor.

From my perspective, this was a win-win-win situation.  1) It means my parents spend more time in Hosuton (WOOOHOOO!), 2) It means we trust our contractor implicitly, 3) It means we get to learn much more in the process and 4) It surely means good stories/memories for the blog.  Spoiler alert- we're now nearly 3 months deep in this adventure and we have not regretted our decision for a single second of a single day.  Don't ask our GC this question though.  ;c)  Stay tuned, my friends.

We are really good at pools.  Psych.

We fired the pool guy and somehow hired a pool dog.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so so glad the house reno details are going on the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOORAY! I'm glad Papa B. ended up the GC because I don't think this Reno would be nearly half as much fun nor half as good had you used someone else. YAY RENO!

    ReplyDelete