Thursday, April 14, 2016

Brynn Tracker: Fifteen Months

The Story
Per the ush (short for usual- never know how to spell that one...anyone?)- I'm late to the party.  On February 18th my little nugget turned 15 months old (1.25 years for those who are into expanding decimals in Excel).

Because I'm a bit behind, it's difficult to remember exact dates and milestones, but what I can tell you for certain is that our Brynnie gets funnier by the minute.  I am constantly telling people** that both of my daughters are hilarious but in completely different ways.  With Em it's pretty easy to convey the hilarity but with the Boo Boo, you kind of have to be there or to know her personality.  Her Aunt Tiff the other day described her as "undercover funny."

*thinking: Maybe if I distract her, I can run away*  Pssst... Mama.  I think I see something really cool over there.

During this 3 month time frame a lot of things stayed the same- she still loves her thumb.  And babbling.  And her Mama.  And sleep.  And being chased. And her blanket.  She added a few new obsessions to her Rolodex though- namely dogs, books and crackers.

I spend approximately 55% of my time at the park trying to keep her from chasing people's dogs and/or getting too close to them.  I blame this on our own dinosaur dog.  Since Lola is huge, and completely non-threatening, Brynn assumes all of them must be this way.  She loves to stick her fingers in their noses, touch their feet, pet them in an aggressive fashion.  You know- all the things dogs love strange children to do.  (Save us a spot, nearest ER!)  She also very clearly started saying "Lola".  (Em also said Lola early on but she said "Woh-wa" and Brynn says "Lala".  Completely uninteresting to anyone except me, I know.)

For real though, Mama.  Why don't you go check?

The obsession with books is definitely genetic.  I think I made my Mom take us to the library nearly daily in the summers.  No exaggeration- she wakes up (happy as a clam, of course) and starts saying "boo, boo" (book) and will run to find the nearest one.  It's THE cutest.  Oh, also, she gives you the book, turns around, backs it up and plops down where she assumes your lap should be.  No thought is given as to whether her aim is appropriate.  This results in quite a few slips, trips and falls for her.  As long as there's a book at the end of the rainbow though- she's good.

After she gets you to read her approximately 1,276 books in the morning, the next line of business is to run into the kitchen and start pointing at the pantry door saying "cacka" on repeat, with increasing desperation, until you deliver one.  Also, if you eat one in front of her there's a high probability she will stick her hand in your mouth and try to get it out.  Maybe she'll be a zookeeper?

Hellllllp.  They're doing it again.

She continues to be a busy, busy child... except when she's not.  Like I said in the photo dump, she has 2 speeds- pedal to the metal and nah- I'm good.  She. Gets. Into. So. Much. Stuff.  If she didn't look so much like a human, I would swear she was a raccoon.  She is constantly bringing us items from the trash.  So if you ever show up at our house and she's holding an empty beer can- no cause for alarm.  She's just been dumpster diving again.

It wasn't within the 15 month window, but she totally dumped Em's potty, full of fresh urine, out allllll over our bathroom floor while I was putting dinner in the oven.  Then she slipped in it and screamed while Em trudged around in it with her pants around her ankles.  (See also: how beer cans end up in the trash can.)

Brynn is still a pretty picky eater.  She will voraciously eat any variety of meat.  She's hit or miss on just about everything else.  We did have a few successes this quarter with fruit- mainly bananas ('nana, 'nana!) and a blueberry or two.  She's also pretty into noodles because... well... Mama's genes.

In terms of milestones, she cut some more teeth and drooled up a storm in the process.  I didn't document the dates of those because if you stick your finger in her mouth, you're probably going to lose it.  She also started saying a few words.  I can't recall exactly how many she had at 15 months but I think for sure uh-oh, Ma-Ma, Da-Da and Lola.  (Since then we've added quite a few but I'll save those for her 18 month post.)

Man I have some good-looking feet.

The School Stuff
Brynn is still in the Infant B class because there's a bottleneck in the Toddler class above her.  I'm fairly certain her main teacher doesn't mind this one bit.  It's going to be a noooooisy couple of weeks at the girls' school when she does finally have to transition.

In this time frame Brynn's teacher told me one day, "oooooh, I finally saw Brynn's other side!"  I knew immediately what she meant by the tone in her voice and the look on her face.  She's the most laid back child ever until you activate baby Hulk mode.  Apparently the trigger on this particular day was that it was time to come in and Brynn wasn't feeling that.  She wanted to stay outside (which Ryan would attribute to his "Native American Roots").  The temper shows itself so infrequently (and is harmless at this stage), so we really just laugh, but I'm curious to see how it develops.

If they're going to keep putting me back in this chair, I'm just going to keep not looking at them.  Take that, family historians!

Most of the time her teachers tell me what a sweet little bug we have on our hands.  Just this morning in fact I had to drop her off instead of Daddy and her teachers said, "is she always this happy at home too?"  They have also referred to her as the classroom helper and intimated that she is really quick to respond when one of the babies is crying.  By "respond" I mean pat a little too aggressively.  Gotta love the kind intentions though, right?

Ahhhh, the rare #MomWin.

The Stats
  • Height: 32" (91st percentile)
  • Weight: 23 lbs 3 oz (76th percentile)
  • Head: 18.5" (83rd percentile)
  • Diaper Size: 4
  • Clothes: 12-18 Months & size 4 shoe
  • Feeding:  She eats 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks at school.  We follow mostly the same schedule at home dependent upon what all we have going on.  She has milk or water at all sittings and will sometimes demand milk via sign language (or pounding on the fridge) in between.  This kid chugs.  I'm pretty nervous about college.
  • Sleeping:  She's still a really great sleeper.  As she gets older she does make more of an effort to fight sleep from time to time if there's a lot going on but generally she still sticks to her own schedule.  She prefers to be in bed by about 7:30 and will wake up on her own sometime between 6:15 and 7:00.  On the weekends she naps 2x a day, her better one in the morning for about 2 hours.  At school she naps better than Emery ever did at her age, but they're becoming fewer and further between.
  • Favorite Songs/Games: Chase is still her absolute favorite.  Nothing makes her giggle more.  She is also starting to take more and more interest in what Emery is doing and playing with.
  • Other Notables:  Brynn LOVES to climb.  She's much more of a monkey than Em, so I am a little nervous about what that means for our medical insurance.
** Duh.  I'm a Mom.  But still totally unbiased.  ;c)

Bye, Felicia!

2 comments:

  1. So stinking cute. Seeing what differences there are/were between these two at this age is really fun. She is a such a toot! But I love most how they both love to be the helpers in class. Thumbs up emoji.

    ReplyDelete