Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Shift-ing Gears

As you are most likely aware, for the past year and some change Ryan has been working shifts.  (See what I did with that title?  Haaaaaa.)  In real world terms that means that he worked 12 hour shifts (5:45 am to 5:45 pm or vice versa) in a crazy 5 week rotation.  In Amy terms that translates to "oh, I have a boyfriend?"  Starting next Monday Ryan comes off of what he affectionately refers to as his "LaQuinta hours," and rejoins the rest of us in our 8-5's. 


Doesn't he just scream Corporate America?

Although Ryan is distraught over the idea that gym shorts and a t-shirt will no longer consitute appropriate office attire, I, for one, am very excited to have him back.  No more turning down fun things on the weekends, no more trying to move around holiday days and no more trying to work on weekends so I can hang out during the week to fit his schedule.  I'm sure Caddy will appreciate his more regular trips to the lake to dispose of her leftovers.

For all of the things I am looking forward to about this change, I also realize there are a few things I'll miss.  Namely the following:
  • 1 weekend, out of every 5, of whatever I want to watch on TV (Say yes to the dress marathon?  Don't mind if I do.)
  • Surprise car washings
  • Picking up sushi for dinner
  • Watching great chick flicks without Ryan's "girl voice" echoing the main character's every single line  
  • 1 full week, out of every 5, of complete control of a computer without hearing "Can I please check my fantasy line up real quick?  The game is about to start!"
  • Ryan running errands for me during the day
  • Full nights on my couch of combing HAR.com and watching HGTV (I love you, Candice Olson) without judgement
Some of my favorite stories from this season of life include:
  • Thanks to his week off, Ryan spent 3 days running all around Houston with my Mom to pick our wedding venue because I was in busy season and couldn't
  • When Brendan tried to plan he and Jen's wedding based on what weekends Ryan would have off
  • Going up to Ryan's office during the Superbowl where they had a full spread of homemade BBQ and fixings.
  • One time I was at the lake hanging with the family on a weekend night.  I sent Ryan a picture text of Abby sleeping on the floor so he could see her new collar (HEY- she looked really cute).  He responded with a picture of himself at work laying on the ground in the same position.
  • Going to dinner and a Rockets game with the Martins, Eastmans, Krueggers and Sechlers even though Ryan couldn't make it
  • Taking Ryan Taco Bell at the office at midnight on his birthday (I'm quite the romantic)
All in all, I'm thankful for this phase of life and all that it brought both Ryan and I, but I'm even more grateful to have a fiance again.  :c)  Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a few more nights of remote control freedom and My First Place is calling my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment