Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Old Mc's Farm

On November 17th, one of my favorite men in the world, Mr. Jake, turned a whopping 1 year old.  The Saturday after his actual day o' birth Melanie & Jonathan earned their "Super Parents" badge by throwing him a birthday bash at Old McDonald's Farm. 

Side Story: Without Old McDonald's Farm, sweet Jake might never have come to be.  No, no, he is not a modern-day, farm-raised Mowgli (Jungle Book reference- whaaaaat?!).  His parents met while working there when they were 14 and 16.  If I remember the story correctly Jonathan was the train conductor and Melanie worked the cash register.  A man who can conduct a mini-train AND wrangle a goat- who could resist?!  Tell me that doesn't make this whole thing 10x sweeter than your average 1 year old birthday!

Most people bring toys, well wishes and their party pants to a birthday shindig.  I have always strived to go above and beyond- so I brought all of those things PLUS my shady, moustache-ed husband.  Yes, that is correct- to a petting zoo filled with the youth of Houston.  Never one to exhibit any sign of shame, he highlighted his super creeper-status by repeatedly stroking said moustache in others' presence.  Was "for smoother or for hair-ier" a subheader under the "for better or for worse" part of my vows?  I am sure the Movember creators never dreamed their vision would be so far-reaching as to cause a ginger 'stached man to wind up in the middle of a 1 year old birthday party.  Visionairies indeed. 

Back to the important stuff - Melanie really went all out to make sure that every detail was perfect.  From the theme-consistent names of the delish food to the cowboy boot-shaped koozie favors, nothing was forgotten.  We all enjoyed it, and I know that the birthday boy did too.  Jake is so lucky to have such amazing parents.  We love you guys... and we are going to miss you so very much for the next few years!

Human food trough.


Bandanas, Cowboy hats & feed for all!


I heart you, cupcakes.


Reunited lovers.  Inevitably after this photo they discussed their market hedges for about 15 minutes.  Jonathan, if you guys being in Geneva means that's my job, the Martins may be no more when you guys get return in 2014.

Jen & I with our camera-shy friend, don-kaaaaay (to be read in Shrek voice).


The sheep were not as camera-shy.


Demonstrating their unparalleled social skills... or tweeting how awesome the donkeys are?

These guys were my fav.

Obviously Jake is impressed.

Heeeeeey Will.


Dude.  What's on your face?! 


If this doesn't scream stranger danger, I don't know what does.

Mama & the Birthday-man.

Get it, Jakey.

When did these get here?



My favorite (almost) Genevans.

No comments:

Post a Comment