Monday, February 13, 2012

Girls Just Wanna Have Roadtrips...

Two of my Mom's close friends were also smiled upon by the childbirth gods and blessed with multiple daughters.*  The 3 of them meet up regularly for dinner and it recently occurred to them that they could amplify the amount of gossip, wine and laughs shared at such gatherings if we all joined forces.  Obviously a Mother/Daughter outting was in order.  On January 28th, Julie, Mom & I hit the road to make this dream a reality.  Destination: where other than beautiful Austin, TX?

We arrived in the afternoon and got right down to business - wine, crackers and cheese in our hotel room.  It was great to get to catch up with everyone as I hadn't seen my Mom's friends since the wedding and I hadn't seen 3 of the 4 other daughter participants since I babysat them when I was in junior high.  They turned out to be pretty awesome young ladies... which is no doubt attributable to my excellent care**.  (Which I owe wholly to a voracious appetite for reading the Babysitters Club.  Kristy, why were you always so bossy?!)

After a solid gab session we headed downtown to grab dinner.  We wound up eating at a new bar on 6th called Old School.  It won me over, which was a feat considering I was a little skeptical given it's location next to the Aquarium.  Post dinner we headed over to Esther's Follies - a Boarman family favorite.  It's a topical comedy show that I highly recommend if you ever find yourself in Austin with no plans for the evening.  Per usual, Caddy laughed the entire show as if Owen Wilson himself was performing.  It was excellent.

Following the Follies, the daughters hit the town and the mamacitas headed back to the hotel.  We spent most of the evening at Kung Fu essentially playing the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon Cy Springs.  Eventually Julie and I headed to Speakeasy to meet up with Julie's good friend Morgan. 

The next morning we all had brunch together at the hotel and then parted ways.  Overall it was a great time and I look forward to doing it again.  Thank you mucho to the organizers and brain children of this operation - our wonderful Mothers.  We love you!


Christine and her mama, Mrs. Lucht.  We missed her sister, Patty, who was busy playing baby shower hostess.


Lindsay, Aimee, Mrs. Howarth & Kristen.  Can't you tell they had excellent babysitters as children?


JuJuBee, Me & Mamacita.


Typical.  Rachel, we missed you!


Partners in chair-thieving crime. 


My favorite giants.


* I feel confident making this dig because I do not believe that my extensive readership (I believe there are 3 of you) includes any males.
** Definitely JKing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment