Wednesday, February 29, 2012

NSFJ: This Little House of Mine...

... I'm going to get it in line.  Get it in line, get it in line, get it in liiiiiiine.  (Did I really just make "this little light of mine" into a house-related song?  Obviously Ryan has gotten to me.  If anyone catches me walking around with a graphing calculator- please intervene.)

Remember when I promised a housewarming after the wedding?  We are now 7 months past that so I'm kiiiiind of looking like a liar.   This thought occured to me the other day as I sipped my coffee pondering life**.

I decided to attack this problem like the good accountant that I am - Ryan & I made a list (excel spreadsheet) of projects (color coded and organized by priority level) to soothe my panic.  The real trick was determining how to get my better half motivated to tackle said list with me. What is the most inspirational day I can think of in my dear husband's life?  College Football season kick off.  So voila- Mission: Kick off was born.  My goal is to get enough things crossed off our project to-do list to feel confident to have people over for the first day of college football season.  Hopefully by stating this goal publicly, I will hold myself to it.

In the interest of getting this mission kicked off (pun intended), I suppose I'll share what few minor projects we've accomplished lately around this joint.  I'm sure you're just DYING to see.  Haaaaaaaa.  There's also a mini peek at the next couple of projects on my list.

** I'm sure I was doing something much less sophisticated when the idea actually popped into my head... like yelling at Lola to go BEHIND the house... but this sounds much fancier.

Disclaimer: Whole hearted apologies for the dimness and lack of quality of these photos.  I took these pictures in 15 minutes after I came home from work.  I promise in real life our house looks much less like an interrogation room on 24.



Ryan got some power tools for Christmas.  Naturally right after this I would come home to find him holding his drill in the air like a gun and turning it off and on.  Something about the adrenaline rush of a brand new drill made it feel like we could tackle anything - including hanging a bay window curtain rod.  After 3 hours and many 4 letter words, I don't recommend this as your first foray into drilling holes in your wall.  Live and learn.  One day that desk will be cleared off and there will be a cool chair at the desk.  Julie, if you've been looking for your pink UT shorts, look verrrry carefully at the lower right hand corner of this photo.



A suitable amount of time passed after our bay window curtain hanging debacle and we decided that we were ready to drill again.  About 45 minutes into this project, after we cut a cord it specifically told us not to, I realized that these may not be "15 minute blinds" after all.  However, at the end of the day, I no longer throw myself on the ground to get out of the line of vision of any intruders when Lola randomly barks at the back door.  So I still chalk this up to a W.



Thanks to an Overstock.com sale and a lack of drilling - we purchased a rug for the kitchen table.  What's that?  You love that I left Ryan's graphing calculator on the table for this photo?  I'm all about realism, folks.



Lola modeling yet another Overstock.com steal.  Her face says - hey lady.  I want to go on a walk, let's wrap it up.



Project #1:  reupholstering this bench from my parents.  This bad boy used to sit at the end of their bed and I spent many an hour sitting on it watching my Mom sew or fold laundry.  I'm looking forward to having it in our house.



This guy is probably my favorite recent purchase.  Love you, West Elm!  Elmer here will have a home on the wall in the media/man room some day.



Project #2: re-finishing this coffee table and upholstering it.  This also came from my parents' house and it used to have glass on top of it, but I am somehow convinced we can upholster it.  In a world where Snooki is going to birth a child, I should be able to upholster this.



This is where it will live, but hopefully the next time you see this space it will be a little bit more unified because I finally picked colors and have ordered some fabric samples.  Let's doooo it.

4 comments:

  1. Love all the updates! Keep doing this so I can be motivated too! I thought of you yesterday when I *almost* took a pic of austin priming our guest bathroom wall, but I don't quite have the home design blog thing figured out yet. BTW I had no idea you had a yellow room when I was talking about yellow being "in" right now. You are so paint-forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. House looks awesome Amy! Can't wait to see the bench and coffee table. Where did you get couch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mucho impressive, mon ami! I love the entry rug and photo captions, of course.

    That is a swell coffee table which will look superb upon completion, of that I have no doubt.

    The bench will get a great makeover, I'm sure of it! Fun, fun, fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've apparently had my pink UT shorts so long that I no longer even know what shorts you speak of. Oops! Also, LOVE the entryway rug!

    ReplyDelete