Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Discussions with Daddy: Segment 2

Well, it's been another 3 months of listening to the interactions between Em & her proud Papa.  That means another 3 months of quiet snickering and/or head shakes.  Suffice it to say, I've collected a few more gems.

Before I share some of these classic convos, because I don't really ever give him props anywhere else, I should iterate again what a good Daddy Emery snagged for herself.  I don't do this to toot his horn (heaven knows I try to do my part to keep that ego in check) or to seem like I don't think anyone else is as lucky.  I do it because this serves as our family's scrapbook and I really want future Emery to know how much her Daddy loves her.  Even on the days he may get stern with her, or yammer on about personal finances, I hope she knows that she could not possibly be more loved by BOTH of us.  Since I'm the author of this little piece of cyber space, it's easy for me to capture the sentiments I feel for our little angel.  I want her to know beyond a shadow of a doubt, the way that I do, even though our family's rock may not be much for verbal emoting, he loves her more than she will ever comprehend.

I have always known Ryan would be an incredible Dad, but he has exceeded even my own expectations.  He has such a soft spot for our sweet Princess and watching the two of them together really brings a new meaning to happiness for me.  This weekend for instance he's working nights and at home by himself while we are at the lake enjoying a holiday weekend with the Boarman side of the family.  Of course being the diligent iPhone-ographer that I am, I have been sending him regular updates.  He just responded to the last one with how much he misses the booger and how he can't believe how pretty she is.  (Clearly a completely unbiased statement.). Anyone who knows Ryan will recognize how touching that is- like I said, he's not much for verbal shows of emotion.

He also continues to use as many of his off days to keep Emery home from school and play Mr. Mom as he can.  I feel truly blessed that he does this as I know that not everyone is fortunate enough to have a co-parent who is comfortable doing that on their own.  It's, very rightfully so, intimidating to take on by yourself.  Particularly with our little diva who IS big on verbal emoting (read: screaming). So, thank you, Daddio for doing all you do.  We love you muchly.

Enough mush... on to the goods, huh?


  • (Talking to Emery while changing her diaper one day)  What color is your hair going to be?  I see lots of colors.  Red, yellow, brown.  It must be ombre.  (Obviously he's unclear as to what ombre is)
  • (While watching me practice putting the Ergo baby carrier on for the first time)  You know what that is?  That's a baby package.  We are sending you away.
  • (Talking to Emery while I pleaded my case about something- likely an Amazon purchase)  Em, that's called justification.  You're a woman... you'll be very familiar with that concept.
  • (During a particularly trying bed time routine)  If you stop crying right now I will buy you a corvette when you can drive.  Right now you're working with a very used Hyundai.  Maybe just a bike.
  • (Holding her while Lola was trying to give her kisses)  That's a dog.  Other common names- canine, puppy, pero.
  • (After I showed him someone in my newsfeed's baby and said he/she was cute)  You're cheating on our baby.  When I see other babies, I close my eyes.
  • (After deciding to write a check for our final hospital bill rather than paying online)  I just saved us $10 on boogie!  What are you doing for this family?
  • (Random conversation during dinner)  I have an irrational expectation that if someone sees a picture of Emery they should tell me she is the cutest baby in the world.  Like cuter than their own baby.  I recognize that's irrational so I just don't show people pictures of her.

My little world - just sharing a bowl of rice cereal and some thoughts on the meaning of life.

1 comment:

  1. Please, for the love of all things funny, record him all the time. Then transcribe his words onto paper and make a million dollars in book revenue before you start making the rounds with the talk shows. Just think about it...

    ReplyDelete