Thursday, October 10, 2013

Turning 29. Again.

Welllllll, despite my best efforts to halt time- another year has come and gone.  Shockingly Father Time has zero interest in catering to me.  RUDE.  So on October 4th I turned yet another year wiser.  Le sigh.

Coming off the heels of such a spectacular birthday/gender reveal combination last year, I really didn't expect to even bat an eyelash at this year.  This theory was only further bolstered by the fact Ryan worked nights the day of my birthday and nearly everyone I knew already had commitments.  Husband dearest and a handful of our sweet friends had other plans.

On very short notice Ryan invited a few folks over and they all acquiesced despite, I'm sure, having more exciting things to do than watch me wallow in my old-age pity.  Jonathan/Melanie, Austin/Shawna, Julie/David & Jimmer/Beth all came by on Saturday September 28th to help me ring in a new year of me.  I couldn't be more grateful that they did, because I had a great time.

As with most events in this group of folks, things went the way of an 8th grade dance within 5 minutes of everyone's arrival.  The female contingent milled around in the kitchen playing would you rather and trading crazy celeb gossip while the men took up station on the couch while grunting and scratching themselves.  Basically it was sheer heaven for both groups.

I just want to thank everyone who dropped what they had going on to come watch (or watch men watch) football and hang out with me.  I don't know what I did so right to deserve you as friends, but I'll take it.  Thank you also to Baby Daddy who planned, cleaned and cooked some mean fajitas for the event.  I enjoyed it so thoroughly I'll consider turning another year older next year at this time.  I'm just considering, so let's not get ahead of ourselves!

Mama Mel holding Baby McClain's (ETA: January 2014) BFF.

Mel, Jules & Shawna hashing out the details of LiLo's most recent arrest.  Hard hitting stuff, guys.

Beer.  Football.  Bareback bronc riding.  This picture just wreaks of dude.

No Mom, I PROMISE I"ll never turn into a smelly, belchy, scratchy guy like those ones out there.  I promise.  Now, let's talk cookies, huh?

The boogs and I.  Is she watching football?!

Were you concerned they may have moved?  Don't worry.  Got ya covered.  It's like a flip book Nanny Cam.

Aunt Shawna, Aunt Shawna... check out my runway walk.

How does Miss Jay do this in heels?!

Ever questioned my claims that she's a total Daddy's girl?  I submit to you article of evidence A.

Trying squash for the first time.  Which happens to be the first veggie she has seemed to tolerate.  Probably the ambience that made it such a success.

Okay Mom... I was real patient but it's like the 4th quarter now.  Can we put a little pep in our step here?

Sweet Baby Harper!  Em & Baby McClain's other BFF.  It was a regular baby slumber party!

Harper giving me some birthday love.

Delish birthday cookies.

Cookie toasts are the new champagne toasts?

Mom, Mom- look, I got her!  What was my roping time?

Adorable puppy kisses.

Melanie this is a glimpse into your life for the next 15 years.

Definitely expecting a parenting book deal annnnny day now.  Potential cover photo?

Because, like I mentioned above, I somehow accidentally fell into relationships that I am less than deserving of, the birthday spoiling didn't end with the fiesta above.  On my actual birthday, a Friday this year, I was greeted with some delicious cupcakes, cube decor, scones and my beloved Starbucks coffee as soon as I walked in the door.  I really am so incredibly appreciative to work with co-workers who are not only brilliant, but also warm and considerate as well.  So many, many thanks to everyone who decorated my space, kept my belly full and just generally kept a smile on my face all day long.  You are the best!

Accountants are not as good at geometry as Engineers.

Green bags, warm scones and cold coffee... these are a few of my favorite things.

This birthday banner and these eternal mylar balloons might be the best investments that the Finance/GL departments have ever made.

After all this heart-filling goodness, I headed up to the lake with the girls to hang out with my parents.  Knowing me as well as they do, they were on board with ordering Chinese to the house for my birthday dinner.  Thank heavens they did because little did we know that it would be the last meal for any of us for about 48 hours!  I won't go into all the details because it's just not required, but suffice it to say that Miss Emery shared the bubonic plague a vicious stomach virus with Ryan (man down Friday night around 9), yours truly (woman down Saturday morning around 6), Nonnie (woman down around Sunday morning around 4) and Grandpa (man down around noon on Sunday).  Luckily we all survived and were lucky enough to share Em duties, and more than our fair share of laughs, over the course of the weekend.  Thank you, thank you, thank you Mom & Dad for helping me get through the weekend- I could NOT have done it without you.

Despite the very virus-y end, I had an absolutely wonderful birthday celebrated with the people who make my world go round.  So thank you from the very bottom of my heart to each and every one of you for helping make 29 (again) seem not so bad after all.  I love you!

1 comment:

  1. 29 again seems so great I think I'll start that game myself! The heart of cupcakes might be my fave pic everever. Also. Happy 2nd birthday at work! You get to celebrate lots and lots during October!

    Outside of the virus, sounds like you had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete