Thursday, January 2, 2014

60 & Sensational

Editor's Note:  Happppppy New Year!  This is the last post from 2013 that I meant to get in during the year.  Obviously I failed.  I blame it on the stomach bug that took me down right before Christmas.  SORRY! 

On Saturday December 14th, Matt, Julie & I threw a surprise birthday party for my parents.  My beautiful mother turned 60 on November 17th and my handsome papa bear turn(ed/s) 60 on January 1st.  About a year ago, Julie & I decided that we wanted to host a joint party in between their special days.  The two of them do so much for the three of us, and our significant others, and they never let us do anything for them.  Usually our only hope for attempting to repay them is by blindsiding them with it.  So despite the difficulty in people's schedules, we forged ahead with a December date for maximum suprise-ocity.  (I'm sure that's a new word that will catch on.  Look out Merriam Webster!)

After much searching for a location, we finally landed on Clay's, a restaurant right outside of the neighborhood we grew up in.  It wound up being an absolutely perfect spot both for sentimentality and proximity reasons.  Julie did the legwork on that and she did ah-mazing!  Not to mention that the seasonal decor made the place feel so cozy- completely perfect setting for a gathering with close friends, as you'll see below.

Julie & I worried so much that no one would be able to make it given everyone's hectic schedules during the holidays, but luckily my parents have landed themselves some fantastic friends that nearly all made it!  If there is a greater tribute to what you mean to the people surrounding you, I really don't know what it is.  Not only did their friends humble us with their attendance, but my Mom's Dad moved his schedule around and flew in from Indiana for the weekend to surprise them.  I think he was truly the crown jewel of the entire surprise.

The whole event came together seamlessly, and I would say that our plan to have it in December to really throw them off was a total success.  For the first 45 minutes of the party, after exclaiming to everyone there that he wasn't pregnant, I think my Dad STILL had no idea the party was for him and my Mom.

I had such an amazing time and am so, so grateful to everyone who took a part in it- from our long-time family friends, the Gautheys, who got them there, to my remarkable Grampa who flew all the way here, to all the guests that fit us into their busy lives- this party wouldn't have happened without you.  So thank YOU!  Thank you to my husband for dealing with me in my frazzled state and for playing photographer. Oh, and a VERY special thank you to my talented co-host, Julie.  There's no one I would rather sit in Panera and plan events with.  Start on 61 soon?  And lastly, of course, THANK YOU to the birthday stars for all you do for us.  We adore, cherish and look up to you more than you could ever imagine.  We love you, Mom & Dad- happy 60th!

Who knew Julie had a Martha Stewart side to her? 

Grandpa may have bit the superstar of the party, but these cupcakes were a very close second.

Julie has an inner Martha, Ryan has an inner Ansel Adams... oh, the things you learn.  (Pic in the foreground is my Dad's huge family.  See how much he looks like his Dad?!)

Julie, Jen & I laughing at college pics of Mom & Dad.  Good thing we were all so responsible, good looking and well-behaved so our kids will never be able to do the same.

This about sums the waiting game up.  Me nervously texting, Julie making sure table decorations were perfect and Jen giving Ryan the look.

Julie & I put together a book of photos for people to sign.  It almost didn't make it in time and I had a severe panic attack.

More Ansel Adams.  (Pic in the foreground is my Mom, her Mom, Aunt Jean & Aunt Jan.)

Julie, Grampa & I.  Matt wasn't there yet- we weren't leaving him out.

Ryan, Grampa & I.

Jules, Grampa & David.

Seriously, he may be making a play for a career outside the Corporate world.  (Pic in the foreground is my Mom as a baby.  How awesome is that old time-y crib on the porch?!)

Ryan took a lot of pictures before guests arrived.

My parents' friends know the way to their heart.

Guest book action shot.

Grampa mingling.  I told you he was the superstar!

Here Ryan is channeling his inner-Jimmy James with these candids.  Sadly, this is the only photo we have with Matt in it!  #fail

The grand entrance.

They turned around to try to get Gautheys to go before them because they had no idea what it was for.

The reveal part 2.

The first words Mom could piece together - "Who got you from the airport??" 

Mike, Grampa, Matt, Jen, Me & Melanie.

Mr. Zacharias, Mrs. Zacharias, Mr. Weise, Mr. Lucht, Mrs. Lucht, Mrs. Weise, Mom, Dad & Mrs. Howarth.

David, Julie, Mrs. Herndon & Mr. Herndon.

Mrs. Kerlick, Mr. Kerlick, Ms. Brenda, Mrs. Benincasa, Mrs. Corbin & Mr. Corbin.

Donnie, Megan, sweet baby Dean, Ms. Brenda & Mr. Tom.  The very best second family a girl could ask for- we missed you, Pedens!

No comments:

Post a Comment