Tuesday, January 21, 2014

NSFJ: Going Halfsies

Like, as in half bath.  Did you think we forgot about getting our house presentable?  Not quite.  We actually have been busy, busy around here.  I'll try to do a few catch-up posts to give mad props to the folks who are helping make this house a home.  With any luck Emery & Julie won't be totally embarrassed when we host events for them here in March.  First item on the list?  Our half bath.

If you have ever been over to our house you are likely aware that I had an extreme distaste for our little bath which I semi-affectionately refer to as the smallest bathroom known to man.  I think that everything in it was probably original to our house, which was built in 1989 and has been home to at LEAST 3 different families and 3 different children that we are aware of.  These facts equated to a toilet that would never get clean and a pedestal sink which offered no storage but did offer a bruised hip if you didn't turn in sharply enough.

Sometime in October, hubs and I devoted the better part of a weekend to hunting down a new sink, new toilet and a cabinet to hang on the wall.  Finally on December 21st, my Dad and Ryan made my little half bath dreams come true.  They gutted the existing stuff and replaced it with our new purchases.  Oh, did I mention this is the day the mama got a stomach bug?  So sweet Nonnie came over under the impression she, Em & I would be making Christmas cookies.  Instead she made Christmas cookies while parenting my child as I lay in bed in the fetal position sweating bullets and feeling like the end was imminent.

When the stomach bug passed, I woke up to a kitchen smelling of my favorite Christmas cookies and a half bathroom with a CLEAN toilet and as much room to maneuver as phsyics will allow.  It was like a double dose of triumph!  I am so, so very blessed to have family and a husband that will pour their blood, swear, tears and a healthy dose of caulk into making our house function.  Thank you to Mom, Dad & Ryan for keeping our house (and Emery) a float- we LOVE you!

Let's go back in time, shall we?  The walls in this bathroom used to be brown, the fixtures gold and the accents black.  I think this picture was taken the first night we moved in.

Hey, old toilet!

In March of 2011 we had the bathroom painted mint green when we had a lot of the house re-painted, but somehow I neglected to take pictures right away.  Probably because this bathroom really has been the red-headed step child.

I asked Ryan to take some befores.  Apparently he focused on what he deemed the most important part.

Ripped the mirror down pre-before, obviously.

I could not tell you why the wall color looks so lime-y here.  It's still minty, never fear.

Also, forgive me for the lack of staging.  I'll get things together better in here.  Some day.

1 comment:

  1. Looks phenomenal! I LOVE the new sink and cabinet. Hooray for new things!

    ReplyDelete