Wednesday, February 11, 2015

So April Showers bring May Flowers...

... and May flowers bring amorous activities.  At least in the circles I travel in.  I've realized this as of late because we've been birthday party-attending machines in this house.  It turns out quite a few awesome people in our lives were born in late January/early February and EACH of them deserves some celebrating!  If Mama weren't trying to squeeze as much productivity into a short daycare trial run, they'd also each warrant their own blog post.  Hopefully in light of this fact they'll be ok with sharing the spotlight with others equally as wonderful as them.

First up?  Sweet, sweet Avery.  This little doll-face turned the big O-N-E on January 22nd.  Why does she matter to us?  Because she was born into one of my very favorite families of all time (see below).  Not surprisingly due to some stellar genetics- Av is just the cutest, smartest, most social little one year old girl on the planet.  Added bonus?  Homegirl is almost exactly right in the middle of my 2 crazy faces.  I envision a lot of trouble being caused by these 3 in the future.

Mama Mel threw the perfect celebratory bash at their house on Saturday January 24th and we were so pumped to be there.

The birthday princess.  Caaaaan I help you crazy-lady-with-the-iPhone-in-my-face?

As always, Melanie had a stellar spread.  Almost as amazing as big bro photobombing in the background.

Are you kidding with this dessert table?  This is where I was typically found.

From Northgate in 2003 to Jonathan's living room in 2015- not much has changed.  Except the chicks they're subjecting to sports/stock talk.  Soon enough they'll be smart enough to wander off like Mel & I are.

Avery, Melanie, Erin & Eva.  Gorgeous ladies.

Discussing how to keep their kids from doing the ridiculous things they did.

I'm just going to kick back and listen to how terribly out of tune you all are.

So THIS is cake, huh?  She will be attending brunches in no time.

The toddler stare down.  Apparently this really is genetic instinct in females.

Emery and Avery sharing some deep thoughts.

This is a shockingly good picture for how many children are included.  (Good these days equates to people looking at the camera, not actual photogenic-ness.)

Lynda trying to woo Brynn.

So, isn't this where we're supposed to be sunbathing?  Anyone?  Anyone?

Up next was my dear, dear friend-worker (should it be co-friend?) Becca's birthday.  She was also born on January 22nd, just a feeeeew years earlier than Miss Avery.  Why does she matter to me?  Because she was my very first friend at my current job.  We started on the same day, she forced me to talk to her in the lobby and the rest is history.  And by the "rest" I mean countless walks to Starbucks, trips for snacks and laps of the floor in search of chocolate.  I really can't imagine what on earth I would do without her support, friendship and listening ear.  Not only that but she's just an all-around awesomely fun, hilarious lady.  I adore you Becca!

Becca invited me to dinner to celebrate this milestone* birthday at America's with her crew on Sunday January 25th.  Not only was it awesome to finally meet some people I'd heard so much about, but we got treated to THE most delicious chocolate and strawberry homemade cake.  She deserved nothing less.

* I won't say which because a lady should never reveal another's age.  Okay, okay.  It was 18.  You've dragged it out of me.

Flaming tres leches.  Did you think that having a homemade cake might stop us from eating the dessert provided by the restaurant?  Ha.  You're hilarious.

The birthday girl taking a picture of her out-of-this-world cake.


The next birthday in the parade is sweet Melanie's.  Her birthday is January 27th.  Why is she important to us?  Ugh, let me count the ways.  She is the matriarch of the family that could only be described as our spirit animals.  (At times, with the men faction, "spirit" is used in the booze-y context).  I truly am not sure what we would do without them.  From Italy to Geneva to carnivals at elementary schools- we have had way too much fun with these characters over the years.  We sure do love our McClains.  Plus, Melanie has literally done far, far too much for me in my mama-ing journey.  One night when Emery was about 2 months old, she woke up every hour all night.  Melanie did not ask a question and just drove over here to watch her, with Jake mind you, so I could take a nap.  She also watched my crazy child for part of a weekend away when Em was just about 3 months old.  WHILE she was in the first trimester with Avery.  Super hero?  Yes.  Yes times a thousand.  Oh, did I mention she kept Emery for the first half of our trip to Punta Cana for my sister's wedding?  What about that time she just drove over and brought me Starbucks when Brynn was little because she knew it was hard for me to get out with her?  Seriously- I don't deserve her.

We celebrated Melanie's 21st (don't audit my math) birthday with a girls dinner on Wednesday January 28th at The Corner Table.  The food was fabulous and only very slightly outshined by the conversation.  We really shouldn't be allowed out in public.  We especially shouldn't be allowed out to nice places.  It was an awesome time and the birthday princess more than deserved it.

Jen: "this tastes like a bath candle."

So many of my favorite people all in one place.  Happy tummy and happy heart.

Moving right along, we cross over into February.  Sweet baby Patrick turned one year old on February 3rd.  I know, I know- when they're 1 they aren't babies any more.  Whatever.  Why does he matter to us?  Because over the course of the last year and a half his Mama has become such a good friend to me.  She truly is a treasure.  There is absolutely no way I could have made it through the past year anxiety-attack free without her daily texts of hilarious stories.  If there's one person I can always count on to laugh at a gross Mama story or to share her most recent ridiculous story to make me laugh- it's Lynda.  Not only that, but I think Emery and Patrick have the same naturally skeptical, difficult-to-impress personality.  Clearly this friendship was meant to be.

We celebrated Baby P's big day on Saturday January 30th at his house.  Lynda pulled off an ah-mazing birthday party.  This is evidenced by the fact that I took zero pictures.  Trust me when I say it was gorgeous.  And there were chocolate chip cookies.  I may or may not have eaten my body weight in them.  Great decor AND baked goods?  That's my love language.  All of us, Emery included, had an awesome time.  

Lynda's Pintrest game is strong.  Almost as strong as Patrick's toy game.  Seriously, homeboy has it all.

Lynda sent us home with like 4 of those cupcakes.  My hips are angry about it.

Emery monopolizing the slide.  Sharing is not a strong suit.

The birthday prince and his proud papa.

Jakey showing off his athletic prowess on the world's most massive pinata.  Ever.

I/We have genuinely had the best time celebrating all of you the past few weeks.  Happy, happy, HAPPY Birthday to Avery, Becca, Melanie & Patrick.  Thank you so much not only for inviting us, but for all you do for my little family.  We adore all of you more than you know!

1 comment:

  1. Aquarians unite!! Ames, you DO deserve all the good because good begets good bible style, lady! Congrats to all the awesome people aging another year and thanks for joining me in celebration. I will never be able to fully express the gratitude I have for you being willing to talk to a crazy lady who made you do it. Chocolate, starbucks and walking galore are in store for your near future...I hope. We are WAY busier than when we started 3 years ago...

    ReplyDelete