Wednesday, January 2, 2013

NSFJ: Furniture Finds

I would venture to guess this might be the most boring in my NSFJ catch-up posts.  So only read through here if you have something pressing you should be doing that you are desperately trying to procrastinate and/or if you are eating lunch at your desk (translation: you are an auditor or accountant).  You are welcome in advance for this warning.  :c)

For either the 4th of July or Labor Day (who can remember any more), I braved the holiday furniture sales in search of a couch and loveseat combo burrito for one of the two front rooms that was sitting empty.  This particular front room will one day grow up to be a "media" (read: man) room.  In case you aren't a female, the translation of that is a place where Ryan can play his video games and host loud game-watching parties without hindering my daily life.  Too much at least.

The walls in this room are pretty darkish to begin with so I was in search of a lighter couch.  I do in fact recognize this as a brave choice when considering the room's primary clientele, but I am quite the trailblazer, apparently.  I also wanted to be sure to find a sleeper sofa so that any game watching parties where jaeger is the guest of honor result in safe passing out rather than attempts at driving.  Am I the girl that thinks of everything or what?

I procured the two pieces below from Star Furniture.  Some day when I'm feeling more ambitious I am going to replace these pillows that came with it with a few that are more suitable for a room full of grunting men.  I'm also considering trying my hand at accessorizing these bad boys with some nailhead trim.  Stay tuned.

That green rug isn't a permanent fixture, don't worry.  It's just so Lolers has somewhere to sit/lay down when we come in here.  I have a rug picked out- just waiting for the correct budgetary opening.  :c) 

There's a hint of our cool bar inherited from Ryan's grandparents. 

Now all we're missing is a rug, side tables, a coffee table, throw pillows, wall decor and a TV.  NBD, right?

Another recent-ish furniture purchase is our console table.  I've been searching for a console table for probably as long as we have lived here.  Our hallway is super narrow and my husband is not a fan of non-functional furniture so the pre-reqs were something that didn't take up much space physically or fiscally.  That seems like an easy enough bill to fit except that when you add in that the floors are dark and the walls are light, it rules out a lot of different materials.

During one of my weekly perusals of my usual furniture hunt sites, I happened to find something on Etsy that I thought I could probably sell Ryan on.  I liked the bones of it, the measurements worked with our tiny space and the price was right.  So, after a fateful meeting with the sellers in an HEB parking lot, home with us it came.  I'm still not totally sure this color is working for me, but that's a project for some other time.  When Ryan is working a weekend, of course (good thing he doesn't read this, right?).  :c)

As always, all decor is subject to change.  Daily.  And the wall behind this will eventually become a gallery wall.  I think.

That is, in fact, my baby book below in case you are over and interested in some riveting reading.

Last but not least, we bought some lamps.  Now, this doesn't sound like a very exciting purchase.  And perhaps to 99.99999% of society it is not.  However, if you know me you know that I have an odd obsession with lighting and light bulbs in particular.  When we moved in this house, task 1 was to replace all old bulbs with the GE reveal bulbs.  I kid you not that Ryan suggested a light bulb line item in the first budget he put together for us.  He not kidding.

Ironically, for someone who adores lighting, the living room in our dear house is severely lacking.  Some day when I save up the funds we'll get an electrician in here and do some recessed lighting trickery, but in the mean time, I have invested in a floor lamp and one to sit on top of the entertainment stand.  This is probably Ryan's favorite of purchases because it means no glare on his TV.  Win for all!

Action shot!

At ease, soldier.  Will I end up changing this lamp shade out?  Only time will tell.

His shorter friend.

I believe that's all I have, dear friends.  This is not the end of our 2012 NSFJ moments of reflection though, don't you fret.  I still have 2 more in the works.  You only THOUGHT Christmas was over, didn't you?

1 comment:

  1. I loooooooove that console. That was a fantastic find, my friend!

    I look forward to more NSFJ posts! I always think of ESTJ Briggs/Meyer test whenever I see that post heading...but I also KNOW I'll be entertained with your DiY and decorating endeavors! (PS. Totes tried to spell that the British way and blogspot said NO WAY, JOSE! It does, however accept Jose. Go figure.)

    ReplyDelete