Thursday, December 24, 2015

Lions & Tigers & Candy- oh my!

As I've stated before- Halloween wasn't really my thang until I had kiddos.  Now, I love it.  This year was no different- I celebrated with some wild animals.  (HA.)  I should probably split this into multiple posts to save your eyesight, but the year is nearly over and I'm trying to get as much of it packed into 2015 as I can.  So I'm cramming it all into one.  Let's get ready to ruuuuumble!

THE COSTUMES
Before we get down to the specifics of this year's festivities, I need to document some of the lead up.  I need future Emery to understand when she's putting together some school project or other collage of pictures how this particular costume came to fruition.  I have to admit that I was pretty worried about the year that Emery was old enough to have her own opinions on what she wanted to be each year.  As you've likely gathered if you are a regular reader, home girl has some thoughts.  Well, enter this year.  Ryan innocently asked her what she wanted to be one evening about 6 weeks before Halloween.

I waited with baited breath to see what she said.  Her response?  "A princess."  Not what I was expecting but I was pretty pumped because that would make it a snap for me to find a coordinating outfit for Brynn (because clearly that is of the utmost importance).  

The next day I spent my lunch break sifting through what I deemed acceptable princesses and their side kicks.  I had Ariel & Flounder, Tinker Bell & the Crocodile, Cinderella & a Pumpkin.  I was pretty pumped to show these finds to her highness that evening for her final seal of approval.  I steered away from Frozen because I wanted to be able to tell which kid was mine this Halloween.

She was more than underwhelmed with the choices.  She furrowed her brow, said "No.  No.  No," and then announced she wanted to be a cat.  Okay.  Fine.  Minor set back.  So I started googling cats.  Turns out this is not just the go-to skimpy costume of teenage females, but also children.  As I rifled through the Google Image options and listened to Ryan say "I don't know, Em.  How about one without fishnets?" I decided I needed to gently steer her in a different direction.

So I pulled out a catalog of costumes that had shown up in our mailbox.  Another rookie mistake.  She decided then she wanted to be a dinosaur.  I could hear future Emery taunting me for the year I let her be a dinosaur.  For the next few weeks we cycled through dinosaurs, cats, princesses, a peanut butter sandwich (only came in adult sizes unfortunately).  She then became fixated on a lion.  Not a regular lion though guys- a WHITE lion.  Which, as you might guess, does not exist.  

Ultimately I decided that I, as the adult, had to make up her mind for her.  So about 10 days before Halloween I finally hit the "order" button on the lion and prayed she would not point out the fact that it was not white upon arrival.  Luckily, she did not and she actually was pretty enamored with it.  #MamaWin.

So yes.  That is how you were a lion for Halloween when you were 2, angel.

THE SCHOOL OUTFITS
You know I believe firmly in one wear holiday outfits that make my husband groan when he looks at my spending for the month.  I stuck to my beliefs for this particular 2015 holiday.  Enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Hey Mama- wanna see a Halloween trick?  Now you see her...

... now you don't.  Is sisterhood a treat or what? 

Brynnie doing the Macarena, infant-style.

You can basically only get one smiling at a time.

THE SCHOOL PARADE
Ryan and I both made it to the girly's school parade this year.  I have to say I was pretty nostalgic as I felt like it was just the day before that I showed up to the same parade with a big old belly in a pumpkin shirt.  Life really does go too fast... but I digress.

Once again we were awestruck at how well the kids listen to their teachers.  Not just our's... but all of them.  Bless them.

We will chalk the fact that Em wouldn't leave her tail on to a certain someone, who's name may rhyme with Yonnie, having her try it on backwards the first time.

Tails are the hottest accessory this fall season.

That tiger is loving life.


THE AFTER SCHOOL PARADE
This Halloween we lucked out with it being on a weekend night.  We got to have not just one, but BOTH sets of grandparents and Aunts/Uncles accompany us on our trick or treating adventures.  

We had so much fun at the neighborhood trick or treating parade last year that we decided to partake again this year.  Around 5:30 we did a lap around the neighborhood across the street behind the fire truck and police car.  Em was actually pretty into it this year and had quite the haul by the time we headed back to our own house.

We made a quick pit stop at our house to eat some pizza and put the Tigress to bed (7:15 y'all.  Don't be late!)  A few of the grandparentals (and myself briefly) were brave enough to take the Lion back out to trick or treat in our neighborhood.  It turned into more of an adult relay with each of us taking turns handing off the lion tail that wouldn't stay put as we chased down the world's most highly sugared toddler.

Overall, I would call Halloween 2015 a huge hit in the Martin home.  I can't wait to see what costumes next year brings us.  Huge thank you to everyone who came to celebrate with us- we had too much fun!  


Mama and her jungle cats.


Being in this suit is hilarious, Mama.


No time for pics, Non.  Eyes on the prize!


C'mon Aunt JuJu.  You talk, I'll grab the candy.


A sampling of our fellow trick or treaters.


A rare family photo.


She doesn't even know this holiday is about candy and she's still this pumped.

I forgot to mention that once Emery knew someone had candy, she liked to go back to their house for multiple rounds like 2 minutes apart.  Thankfully we have kind neighbors.  Here's Daddy & Aunt  Tiff doing some damage control.



It's her world- we're all just living in it.

1 comment:

  1. That Frozen reference...so true.

    This last picture should be FRAMED and put on every wall ever. Too funny.

    Also, alluding to all your prior comments about Brynn reproducing Ryan faces for pictures...here's proof positive in the family photo above!

    ReplyDelete