Friday, June 14, 2013

Discussions with Daddy: Segment 1

In honor of Father's Day this weekend, I'm going to get in gear and actually write this post that I've been meaning to for a while.  As a preface, let me first say that Emery couldn't have been more fortunate in the Papa lottery.  Ryan goes above and beyond to spend time with, and help with, our little boogie in any way he can.  As an example, this week he's been on nights. In order to spend time with our little one, after he gets home at 6:30 AM after 12 hours of work, he stays up and takes her to school.  This morning he really melted my heart when he proclaimed that he missed her and was going to go pick her up from school as soon as he woke up.  Yesterday he also spent most of his awake hours before work getting baby supplies for the week.  So yeah-  he's pretty great to us.

Enough sap, right?  Let's get to the point.  Any of you familiar with my dear better 1/3rd (and that should be all of my 2.5 readers) know that you can never be absolutely sure what will come out of his mouth.  Unless he's trying to sing along to a Spanish song in which case it will just be, "Que, que, que, que," in varying inflections.  This lack of predictability has led to a lot of laughter in our house.  A LOT.  From imparting nuggets of wisdom upon our daughter to discussing her finer points- Daddy provides a lot of soundbites I feel should be forever immortalized via this blog.  Keep in mind most of these are overhead while I'm in the other room doing something.  Heaven only knows what gets discussed when Mama isn't around.

I neglected to start jotting down these things until fairly recently.  So regretfully I've probably missed quite a few but rest assured this will probably become a semi regular segment here.  Happy Friday to the blogosphere, and Happy Daddy's Day to all you proud papas.  Enjoy!

  • (Talking to me during a particularly rough colic period):  "She's such a cute ball of terror.  She's like a bunny with a knife."
  • (Explaining her hands to her): "This is the index finger- you use it to point at things.  This is your middle finger- you use that for driving.  This is your ring finger- it's the one that will cost some poor sap like $30 grand one day.  That's inflation-adjusted.  We'll get to inflation later."
  • (Practicing vowel sounds):  "Aaaaaaa, Eeeeeeee, I is for Igneous rock, Oooooo, Uuuuuuuuu."
  • (Talking to me during a pretty trying trip to Conroe):  "She's like the bomb on Speed.  If we slow down, this car is going to explode."
  • (Discussing his theories on how to impress upon her the importance of not getting pregnant as a teen). "I'm going to make her watch a Teen Mom marathon.  I'm going to take her allowance to buy diapers.  Then I'm going to walk into her room at all hours of the night and wake her with an airhorn.  Tying her tubes now is off the table, right?"

3 comments:

  1. This proud papa is quite the grammatical genius. GENIUS, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two crack me up. I have a feeling that little baby is going to have a great sense of humor someday.

    ReplyDelete