Sunday, October 23, 2011

Birthday Shenanigans

Recently I turned 29 for the first, but certainly not last, time.  Those of you who know me well have likely recognized that I have a bit of a flair for the dramatic when it comes to aging.  I attribute this fact to being the eldest child of 3, having a best friend who is 353 days younger than me and a husband who is 195 days younger than me... all things I'm reminded of on a regular basis by said parties.  You would think that watching my life odometer switch from 28 to 29 would have really had me in a tizzy but shockingly I didn't care.  Maybe it's because 28 was such a solid year - bought our first home, married my love and had our first (fur) baby orrrrrr... maybe it's because I'm just stockpiling drama for the next odometer switch?  Only time will tell.  ;c)  Either way, my 28th year of life was capped off by an absolutely perfect birthday. 

Due to a combination of everyone in my life doing MORE than enough celebrating of yours truly in the past year and my recent requirement to down 5 hour energys  prior to scenarios that warrant me staying up later than 11 pm- having a low key birthday was a must.  On my actual birthday, a Tuesday, Ryan spoiled me to pieces with flowers, wonderful food, a beautiful jewelry box I adore and a mandatory stop at my favorite local coffee shop. 

White chocolate & raspberry slice o'heaven.

Family photografia.

Wrapping - not one of Ryan's strong suits.

I think the subliminal message here is - you should buy more jewelry.  Don't mind if I do...

I evidenced that I've already mastered the art of using my birthday to my own benefit by somehow convincing Ryan that all I wanted to celebrate the next year of life was to carve pumpkins on Friday.  Our first exchange on the subject went like this:

Me:  I think for my birthday I really want to carve pumpkins.
*silence*
Me:  You don't look excited!  Why not?!
Ryan: Because I'm not 12.

Soooo he was not immediately as smitten with the idea as yours truly, but he did eventually acquiesce.  You may be thinking- wow, what a sweet guy.  However, everyone we encountered that Friday evening, from my Mom to the highschool girl that checked us out at HEB, would inform you that Ryan was about as excited as I would be at a WWF event.  He was also about as vocal about his excitement as I would have been.  I am sure that highschool grocer is suuuuuuper excited about all that Friday nights in her late 20s hold in store for her now, not to mention that magic of marriage. To his credit, Ryan carved some pumpkins like a champ, and although he'd never admit it, I think he enjoyed it.

Look at all that genuine happiness.

Mmmm... pumpkin guts.


See if you can spot the ghost in this photo.


Such a confused household.  You may be asking yourself what is below the Gig 'em.  Obviously that is a bowtie in honor of R. Bowen Loftin.  Trust me when I say it was a better alternative than the SEC logo Ryan originally wanted to carve.

This one was my fav.

Saturday Ryan took me out for sushi at RA.  It was fabulous, of course.  I like that place a litttttle bit too much.  On Sunday our families and a couple friends were kind enough to brave the rain to come over to watch the Texans with us and celebrate my old age.  Ryan made absolutely FABULOUS pulled pork (thanks Kelly!) & sausage, I made pumpkin seeds & blueberry cobbler, my Mom made potato salad, Ryan's mom made beans and my sister made some money pumpkin cookies.  I am fairly certain I gained 5 pounds in a 2 hour time frame- but it was totally worth it.  There's nothing like being surrounded by family & friends, comfort food and a rain storm to make you look forward to the next year. 

Kylie is signaling that it's time for pulled pork.

Girl table.

"Mom, you didn't tell me there'd be hot chicks here."

Ryan & Austin looooove taking pictures.

Look out ladies of Geneva.

Bro-mance.

Thank you to everyone who helped make my birthday this year so memorable.  I love you all and am so fortunate to have each of you to help me get ready for next year's over-the-hill hysterics.  ;c)

1 comment:

  1. A.) I LOVE Ryan's gift wrap job B.) I LOVE that there is a picture of Austin, Ryan, a couch and 7 beers. haha

    ReplyDelete