Sunday, October 9, 2011

NSFJ: Table Talk

Oh man, I told you guys to prepare for some NSFJ posts.  You had no idea what you were in for, did you?  Looks like Christmas came early for you this year, my loves!

This year Ryan and I have had the good fortune of inheriting a few fabulous finds from his sweet grandparents - an amazing bar, 2 chairs for the living room and 1 round pedestal table.  It just occurred to me that I did not post pics of these babies when we acquired them, so I will reveal them here...

So fun.  The bar, not all the unpacking I still have to do.  HEY!  Sometimes it takes 3+ months to move in.  NBD.

Bar side profile.  Sheeeee's a beaut.

Why, yes, Ryan's grandparents are A&M fans- how did you know?

Close up of one.  I'm also noticing our floor could use a sweep.  Don't worry - that will be taking place tomorrow.

I have been itching to flex my DIY muscle, and acclimating these treasures into the house was the perfect opportunity.  Ryan has threatened my life if I try to do anything to the bar, and to be quite honest- it's pretty fabulous all on its own.  I have some re-upholstering plans in store for the chairs... but that will have to wait until we have our sectional so that inspiration can truly strike (haaaaaaaaaaaaaa!).  So, the first victim of Ryan & I's craftiness was the table.

After a couple trips to Home Depot/Lowe's and a few weekends of grunt work... voila, retirement for the card table we'd previously been using in the kitchen.  I won't bore you with the details of staining, but if you're interested- let me know.  I'd be happy to relay.  For now, enjoy the photographic evolution. 

All of the tools for this little project.

The before.

Paint stripper.  This stuff does not play.  The requirement to wear gloves is a littttttle more serious than when they made us wear them for highschool chemistry.

After a round of sanding.  Or maybe 5?  It's hard to tell.

Stained!  This is called pickled white.  It's meant to look a little distressed or worn... we aren't just that lazy.

Ta da!  Oh, p.s. we (okay, probably I) decided to add a punch of color with some green chairs from Crate & Barrel.  Love, love.  One day this space will also have a rug, chair cushions and some curtains.


From the other angle.  Sans flash.

Someone was displeased that she wasn't getting any attention.  Not a self-entertainer, that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment