Wednesday, October 5, 2011

NSFJ: Hole-y Smokes

As you may have gathered from the influx of event-related posts lately- Ryan and I haven't had much time to devote to our beloved home since the wedding.  In one of the first free weekends we had post-wedding, we set out to look at furniture.  Our primary mission was to find a sectional that would fit our living room set up.  I could get off on a tangent here about the difficulties in finding the perfect sectional, but I will save you all that heartache.  We hit up the usual suspects with our hearts full of optimism- La-Z-Boy, Gallery Furniture, Metropolitan Furniture, Star Furniture and surely I've forgotten a few others.

By about 2:00 we felt exhausted and were considering whether using lawn furniture in the living room was really THAT big of a faux pas.  In order to calm our nerves, and to reward Ryan for being so good (much like your mother did when you were 5), we stopped by Fry's.  Approximately 45 minutes later we were walking out of Fry's with a TV and I was wondering how on earth this had happened.  So the moral of the story is.... sometimes you leave home looking for a couch and you return home with a massive TV.  Single ladies of the world- let this be a lesson in what happens if you get married. 

Said TV purchase kicked off a 4 weekend long (you read that correctly) stint of what can only be dubbed as "Tooltime with Jim," a modern day spin-off of the classic from Home Improvement.  The cast of characters for this month long sitcom were my Dad (Jim), Ryan's Dad, my brother and Ryan.  So while I was out bachelorette-ing, wedding-ing and what not- these 4 men were tirelessly slaving away in our living room.  This particular task was sold to me as an approximately "2 to 3 day" job whereby the men in my life would run wires, hang a wall mount and ta-da- our newest piece of technological genius would be perfectly mounted above my beloved fireplace.  Sounds easy, right?  Wrong. 

I don't really know much about tools or technical terms (and most of those I overheard thrown around were of the 4 letter variety), so I can't really explain what exactly morphed this task into what it became.  What I can tell you is that every time I turned around there was a new tool, a new Lowe's or Home Depot receipt and/or a new (or sometimes just enlarged) hole in my wall. 

These 4 men worked very dilligently for 4 weekends in a row.  They cut holes, they drilled things, they sheetrocked, they used power tools, they painted, they textured (like 5 times- LY hubs) and they grunted very masculinely.  All joking aside, I'm very proud of all of them.  The TV is now (hallelujah) above the fire place and has held strong there for at least 2 weeks... a much better showing than my suggestion of duct tape would have allowed.  Not only do I love what this has done for the feel of our living room, but I feel very blessed to have men in my life who are so driven, handy and willing to sacrifice so much of their time to improve our house.  Please enjoy the photographic journey of the TV's homecoming. 

(P.S. A lot more NSFJ posts are coming at you in the nearish future.  No, no... you should still try to sleep.  I know it will be hard to do so with that knowledge.)

Please note the fathers hard at work while Matt & Ryan play with the tv.

Living room looking goooooood.

What's family for if not to stick half their body into your wall?

Lola riveted by the action.

The world's longest drill bit.  (That's what she said?)

I never thought I'd see this day... mount officially hung.

Ta da!  Please try to ignore everything except the TV as it will all change.  :c)

2 comments:

  1. wooo... looking good! Glad you know what family members to turn to when it comes to this kind of stuff. If you're in the market for nail polish, clothes, advice on how high to hang a picture, now THAT I can help with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, best picture has to be the one where the sleeping Lola is about to get kicked in the backside. Animal cruelty, forsooth!

    ReplyDelete