Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Brynn Tracker: Six Months

The Story
May 18th Miss Brynn turned a whopping 6 months old.  I know that it's super cliche, but the time absolutely flew.  I thought it went quickly with Em but somehow with Boo Boo the time absolutely evaporated.

Helloooooo new month!

A quick update on issues/notes of yore... this month she continued to wake up 1 to 2 times a night.  I think she was experiencing some intense FOMO.  Thankfully I have an incredibly supportive partner who would help a sister out AND she would go right back to sleep after getting fed.

She still was a big time Mama's girl but her tolerance for being passed around continued to increase.  As long as I was in eyesight, she was good.  Also, thanks to Daddy's assistance with the nighttime feedings, she grew pretty attached to him as well.

What if I'd waited until THIS day to be born.  Wouldn't that have been HILARIOUS Mom?

She continued to suck her thumb as you can see from pictures.  She mainly reserves this trait for when she's very tired or hungry.  It usually accompanies her pulling her hair with the other hand.  I'm not sure why these two things go together but to her they're like peas and carrots.  It's actually pretty adorable.  Her pulling her hair only makes that mane more nutty which you know I appreciate!

In terms of weight, as you can see below- it stayed low.  I weighed her on the daily and definitely had myself all kinds of worked up about it.  At her 5.5 month appointment my pediatrician told me that I could chill out and that she remained on her curve.  She suggested that maybe Brynn was just settling in on a skinny Minnie curve.  I suppose there are worse things in life, huh?

Daddy's been working on my air guitar skillz.

Personality-wise, I know I sound like a broken record but goodness is this girl a happy camper.  She's just generally so content.  I can't think of any other way to describe her.  She has a much higher tolerance for sitting still and observing her surroundings than someone else I know who's name rhymes with Memory.

Because of this exuberance she is the physical embodiment of a bouncing baby boy girl.  My absolute favorite time of the day is going to get her out of the pack n' play (yes, she was still sleeping in there at this point).  She would babble/coo (read: make dinosaur noises) away and then as soon as she heard you coming would start wiggling with such enthusiasm that the entire pack n play would rock.  Talk about a self esteem boost!

How much longer until I'm coordinated enough to try to climb that chair you usually read to me in?

This month she started experimenting with her vocal cords.  She started to make some of the consonant sounds in addition to varying inflections with vowel noises.  Brynn's first consonant sound was "ba ba ba" where as Em's was "da da da".  Maybe "Mama" will be her first word?  Haaaaa.  A girl can dream.

It warrants noting also that she seems to have her own idea of a schedule.  Each night between 7 and 7:30 she starts sending us cues that she is ready for bed.  We heed her warnings, give her a bottle, lay her down and walk out.  She pretty much puts herself to sleep.  I know this isn't the case for all children and probably won't always be that way for her either, so I figured it should be documented.

As seems to be the standard- it was another wonderful month.  With each passing day it becomes more and more evident that Brynn balances our family out.  I can't imagine what we did before her!

Hey Em- I see you over there flaunting your stuffed elephant.  Hook a sister up.

The School Stuff
Brynn continued to do well at school.  She didn't seem to exhibit any signs of separation anxiety and loved her teachers and classmates.  Her teachers would tell me in the afternoon how she loved to try to grab her classmates and to babble to them.  I can attest to the fact that she's certainly a hands-on learner.  If she sees it, she wants to grab it to figure it out.

I think I see an escape route.

The Stats

  • Height: 26.75" (90th percentile)
  • Weight:  15 lbs 3 oz (39th percentile)
  • Head: 17" (84th percentile)
  • Firsts:
    • 5/4 - First solids
    • 5/5 - First official "scoot" (she opted for the inch worm method of movement vs her sister's go-to army crawl at the same stage)
    • 5/14 - First time sitting (this one is always tough to nail down, so it may have been earlier)
    • 5/18 - First time sitting herself up from her belly
  • Diaper Size: I think we moved up to a 3
  • Clothes:  6-9 months
  • Feeding: She was still nursing every 3 hours while with me and at school she would take 3 six oz bottles
  • Foods Tried: Oatmeal & carrots - neither was a winner
  • Sleeping:  Generally put herself to bed around 7:15 pm or so, would wake up 1x a night (around 1 or 2) and then would be awake for the day sometime between 5 am and 6:30 am.
  • Favorite Songs/Games:  Loooooves to watch her sister and to hop around in the exersaucer.
  • Other Notables:  I know I pointed it out above, but I love it so much that I'm going to highlight it here too... her enthusiasm when you come to pick her up out of bed is the worlds best pick-me-up.  
When indigestion strikes in the middle of your air guitar concert. 

See ya 6 months!  Been nice knowing you.

1 comment: