Thursday, August 27, 2015

Fireflies & S'Mores

By this point if you read the blog reguarly- you know there are at least 2 inalienable truths: 1) I will blog about a summer holiday no matter how much or little I remember of it and 2) we tend to head to my parents' house for holidays when we can.  Independence Day this year was no different.

This particular holiday I was even more jazzed than normal about a summer break because work had been CHAOS to the Nth degree.  Thanks to the magic of 9/80s, I was off from Thursday July 2nd through Sunday July 5th.  Ryan decided to take Thursday off in addition to his Friday holiday so that we could get a jump on our chillaxing.

Thursday morning we swung by Cracker Barrel and had breakfast with Ryan's Dad before we headed to Conroe.  We enjoyed getting to spend some quality time by (and in) the pool with Nonnie & Pawpaw.  Both girls actually did remarkably well with swimming and it seemed to keep them fairly entertained.  This was a huge change from the prior year when all Emery cared to do was run in the beach entry and then run right back out.  It was a lot more cardio-intense than I prefer for my vacations.

On Friday evening Matt, Julie and David all joined us.  Saturday we were treated to a visit from Jen and Brendan since they were meeting up with his family for dinner.  It had been so long since they'd come up to hang out with my family that we had an extra awesome time.  It goes without saying that beer pong was involved.

Sunday morning we were all treated to s'mores from a bonfire my parents had going on the lot next door.  The bonfire was particularly large which made getting close enough to roast a marshmallow without singing your eyebrows a challenge.  Thankfully Jimmy James is an engineer and he MacGyvered a new methodology for roasting... using a pool cleaning stick.   These are my genes, guys.

The most notable facts from the weekend were that we let Emery try sleeping in a cot for the first time.  We figured it would be a useful experiment given our upcoming family trip to Florida.  It went as expected.  She was completely enamored with the fact that she could get out of bed at her leisure.  She exercised her freedom nearly every morning at 4 am by telling Ryan, "I ready ta pway Daddy!"  On a very related note- we learned that she "be 'cared" of the "fireflies" (read: fireworks) which resulted in her staying up far, far past her bedtime each evening.

The remainder of the time was filled with the staples of any lake weekend- incredible eats, great company, spoiled children and plenty of family time.  It's hard to say whether Emery or her parents are more disappointed when we have to leave.  Thank you to my parents for hosting us!

Bathing beauty.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how shocked are you that the only photos that escaped this weekend are of my kids?

Y'all let me know when you're done- I'll just be here eating my clothing.

Hello, new phone background!

Making s'mores Country Boy, PE style.

1 comment:

  1. The second bathing suit pic of Em is just TOO CUTE!!!

    ReplyDelete